St. Augustine’s “Nights of Lights” begins

Morgan Jeremy, Reporter

The annual Nights of Lights festival has started in the historic city of St. Augustine. Declared one of the best light displays in the world by National Geographic, this event attracts thousands of visitors each year with its dazzling displays of over three million lights.

Image courtesy of visitstaugustine.com.

The light show begins with the gorgeous holiday tree in the center of the Plaza de la Constitución, then stretches across the historic district’s entirety — illuminating restaurants, businesses, museums, and historical sites in glowing white light. 

According to their website, some of the most elaborate displays can be seen at Flagler College, the Lightner Museum, side streets like Cordova St. and Orange St, and the shopping area of St. George St. 

This St. Augustine tradition originates from the Spanish holiday practice of putting a candle in the window on Christmas, a symbol of hospitality toward seasonal guests. 

Visitors to the event can enjoy strolling through the lit streets on foot or enjoy one of the countless tours available here

Some of the more popular tours include Old Town Trolleys, Famous Nights of Lights Tour, St. Augustine Sailing Nights of Lights Charters, First City Helicopters Night Lights Tour, and The Tasting Tours of Lights.  

The Festival of Lights will remain on display until January 31, 2021.

____

• The University of North Floridas prior president headshots are shown on the left next to president-elect Dr. Moez Limayem on the right.

Dr. Moez Limayem chosen as UNF president-elect, awaiting BOG confirmation

• A protestor speaks into a microphone at “The People’s Abortion Rally” for abortion rights in front of the Duval County Courthouse

Jacksonville activists join state-wide protests for women’s rights

• The University of North Florida Board of Trustees debates after finishing their four presidential candidate interviews

Developing relationships and diversity in higher education, the final day of presidential interviews

• University of North Florida Board of Trustee members listen to Marc Miller as he answers a question during his final interview

What is “uniquely UNF?”: First half of final presidential interviews conclude

• A thermometer is viewed on a wall behind the Kansas City Chiefs bench during the second half of an NFL football game against the Jacksonville Jaguars Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019, in Jacksonville, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

Jacksonville heat mapping project initiated by UNF professor

• The USS Orleck, moored on the North bank of the St Johns River.

The USS Orleck’s future in Jacksonville

• Khalil Osborne (left) and Tenny Rudolph (right).

Local photographers Tenny and Khalil introduce “FORVERGREEN,” their upcoming farewell gallery

• Unidentified people at tables outside the original Boathouse, circa 1973-1975.

A look into the Boathouse’s tumultuous history

• UNF Sculpture Program to bring potatoes to Germany

UNF Sculpture Program to bring potatoes to Germany

• Miles Dittmar smiles with some of his products outside UNF’s Library.

Introducing Miles Dittmar, student entrepreneur and CEO of the Beaten Path Co.

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

Your email address will not be published.