Two popular Jackonville festivals canceled due to COVID-19

Hayley Simonson, Managing Editor

A year has passed since the pandemic first began, but the United States is still dealing with COVID-19 as it continues to postpone and cancel popular events. 

Singing the Blues is the largest oceanfront free Blues Festival in the world. It takes place in Jacksonville Beach every April. However, the event typically held on April 9, 10, 11 will not be returning this month. Singing the Blues’ website announced that the festival is postponed another year to April 9, 10, 11 of 2022. It was also announced that The Great Atlantic Southern Rock Revival would also be postponed and take place on March 20 of next year. 

In regard to the situation, Springing the Blues stated  this on their website:

“The decision to postpone is out of an abundance of caution and concern for the safety and well-being of attendees, volunteers, staff, sponsors, performers, and vendors due to the risks and uncertainties surrounding COVID-19 and its variants as well as Government Restrictions placed on large crowd gatherings in order to lessen potential exposure and slow the spread of this deadly disease. It is still too risky to safely put on a festival…” 

In addition to Singing the Blues being canceled, the well-known Mandarin Art Festival was canceled this year as well. According to their website, the Mandarin Art Festival is, “a high-quality juried fine art event, enjoys thousands of visitors who return year after year for their favorite artists or to see the array of creations by artists new to the festival. For many, this has become an Easter weekend tradition. Many generations of Mandarin children have enjoyed and remember the Easter Egg Hunt which was a part of the weekend activities.” 

Due to the ongoing pandemic, the event that was supposed to be hosted on April 3 and 4 was canceled. 

As COVID-19 continues to haunt the everyday lives of Americans, people continue to participate in the guessing game of when will “normal” life return. 

____

• Demonstrators gather on the lawn of the Duval County Courthouse

Through the eyes of a photographer: June

• A crowd of people listen to a speaker

Abortion

‘We need to take action’: Protesters respond to SCOTUS decision at Jacksonville rally

• Someone taking notes during a meeting

Internships bridge the gap between college and the real world, professor explains

• (Lauren Fox/Spinnaker)

Pride and pandering: Are companies supporting equality or good PR?

• black and white tiles spell out AMAZING DAD on a table

Columns

Creative Father’s Day gifts you can actually afford

• A Wear Orange banner reads we can end gun violence on a fence at Success Park during a clean-up event

Locals look to brighter future with ‘Wear Orange’ park clean-up

• The University of North Floridas prior president headshots are shown on the left next to president-elect Dr. Moez Limayem on the right.

Dr. Moez Limayem chosen as UNF president-elect, awaiting BOG confirmation

• A protestor speaks into a microphone at “The People’s Abortion Rally” for abortion rights in front of the Duval County Courthouse

Jacksonville activists join state-wide protests for women’s rights

• The University of North Florida Board of Trustees debates after finishing their four presidential candidate interviews

Developing relationships and diversity in higher education, the final day of presidential interviews

• University of North Florida Board of Trustee members listen to Marc Miller as he answers a question during his final interview

What is “uniquely UNF?”: First half of final presidential interviews conclude