Two popular Jackonville festivals canceled due to COVID-19

Hayley Simonson, Managing Editor

A year has passed since the pandemic first began, but the United States is still dealing with COVID-19 as it continues to postpone and cancel popular events. 

Singing the Blues is the largest oceanfront free Blues Festival in the world. It takes place in Jacksonville Beach every April. However, the event typically held on April 9, 10, 11 will not be returning this month. Singing the Blues’ website announced that the festival is postponed another year to April 9, 10, 11 of 2022. It was also announced that The Great Atlantic Southern Rock Revival would also be postponed and take place on March 20 of next year. 

In regard to the situation, Springing the Blues stated  this on their website:

“The decision to postpone is out of an abundance of caution and concern for the safety and well-being of attendees, volunteers, staff, sponsors, performers, and vendors due to the risks and uncertainties surrounding COVID-19 and its variants as well as Government Restrictions placed on large crowd gatherings in order to lessen potential exposure and slow the spread of this deadly disease. It is still too risky to safely put on a festival…” 

In addition to Singing the Blues being canceled, the well-known Mandarin Art Festival was canceled this year as well. According to their website, the Mandarin Art Festival is, “a high-quality juried fine art event, enjoys thousands of visitors who return year after year for their favorite artists or to see the array of creations by artists new to the festival. For many, this has become an Easter weekend tradition. Many generations of Mandarin children have enjoyed and remember the Easter Egg Hunt which was a part of the weekend activities.” 

Due to the ongoing pandemic, the event that was supposed to be hosted on April 3 and 4 was canceled. 

As COVID-19 continues to haunt the everyday lives of Americans, people continue to participate in the guessing game of when will “normal” life return. 

____

• The Tabacinic Campus for Jewish Life at UNF is located a short mile drive from the core UNF campus.

Fighting hate and antisemitsm, Holocaust museum travels to UNF next week

• Student union banner

Kick off 2023 with UNF’s event-packed week

• (Priscilla Du Preez/Unsplash)

Thanksgiving: The importance of gratitude

• Entrance to Neckles’ Bless This House gallery at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Jacksonville.

MOCA artist Shervone Neckles shares the creative process behind her thought-provoking artwork

• Photo courtesy of Osprey Robotics

Club Spotlight: Osprey Robotics

• A rainbow flag waves at the starting line of a Pride Observance Month 5K run at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, June 21, 2019. The rainbow flag is displayed at lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning events worldwide as a symbol for diversity in the LGBTQ community. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

‘Perseverance and solidarity’: UNF Pride Club members discuss the history of Pride

• Oktoberfest information

Ozzie Oktoberfest: The 5 W’s to know

• The video game posters, featuring posters for Nintendo’s Metroid Dread and The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild, the former of which is one of “100’s” of new additions to their inventory, according to the sale

UNF poster sale this week

• A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

• Interior of the Ogier Garden’s greenhouse.

Nothing beets the Ogier Garden’s hidden gems