News in Briefs Nov. 30

Spring 2012 election dates and times set

Students will be able to vote for Student Government officials, including student body president and vice president, in the spring 2012 election from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. March 6-7, 2012.

This semester, elections were not open to the student body due to a lack of applicants. Only 23 applications were completed and submitted for 26 open seats.

UPD officer promoted to sergeant rank

Kathleen Halstead, a UPD officer, was promoted to sergeant Nov. 21.

Halstead is currently in sergeant field training. She will then serve a year as a probationary sergeant.

She said she enjoys working for UPD because of the community-like feeling at UNF.

“It’s more rewarding here, working with students and staff,” Halstead said. “It’s more of a small hometown feel as opposed to working for a large agency.”

Worker falls 30 feet at dining center construction site

Thomas Paul Slattery, 53, a construction worker, fell 30 feet from a steel beam Nov. 26.

Edward McDowell, Slattery’s supervisor, said to police Slattery’s safety gear was on but was not properly secured to the beam. He said Slattery hit the ground feet first and then fell backward.

Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department responded to the scene. Life Flight carried Slattery to Shands Hospital.

Slatter is employed by a subcontractor for the construction of the new dining hall near Building 14.