Atlantic Sun Championships Preview

Track and Field

In outdoor competition, the men’s team is in the top five for highest scores and times in seven out of the 18 nonteam events this year in which there were more than five competitors. Junior Cameron Dickerson and sophomore David Shepherd highlight the group, with Dickerson having the fastest times in the 800m (1:51.40) and 1500m (3:47.29) this year in the conference and Shepherd having the highest height in the pole vault (5.15m) this year in conference.

The women’s team boasts 13 student athletes in the top five for highest scores and times in the A-Sun this year in 18 events with the same parameters. This number is highlighted by senior Christian King’s No. 1 height in the pole vault (3.95m) in the conference and sophomore Brianna Frazier’s No. 1 times in the 200m (23.47) and the 400m (52.25) for the conference this year.
The women’s and men’s teams are both coming off a weekend of rest, but the men’s team did send Dickerson and juniors James Post and Sky Squillance. Dickerson picked up his third win in the 1500m this season amid four top-15 finishes for the trio.

*The tournament will be held at UNF April 20-21

Jordan Harirchi, Assistant Sports Editor

Women’s Tennis

The UNF women’s tennis team will enter the A-Sun conference championships as the favorite after finishing the regular season with a perfect record in conference play.

In the team’s nine conference games, not once did an opponent win more than one point in a match. In the last 10 matches, the Ospreys haven’t lost a doubles match. With the success the team has shown in A-Sun play this season, it would be a major upset if the team lost in the tournament.

But losing is still in the realm of possibilities. Prior to the team’s current 10-game winning streak, UNF started the season 4-4, struggling against top teams such as Florida State University and head coach Audra Cohen’s alma mater, the University of Miami.

Behind the consistently strong play of the No. 66 doubles pair of Aline Berkenbrock and Lorena Aviles and the rest of the UNF squad, there’s no reason the Ospreys can’t skate through the tournament with ease and return the A-Sun title that left the hands of UNF last year back to Jacksonville.

*The tournament will be held at ETSU April 20-22

Josh Brannock, Sports Editor

Sand Volleyball

In its first season of Division I play, UNF sand volleyball has had its ups and downs.

UNF has only played two conference games this season, both at JU, and came away with victories in both matches. In two tournaments, the Ospreys showed signs of a strong future.

For UNF to become the first team in A-Sun history to win the conference sand volleyball title, they need to be consistent.

UNF needs its top pair of Dagnia Medina and Emily Strack, along with the duo of Julie Trembley and Carolyn Jenkins, to be at their best. The rest of the team needs to play strong as well if they want to bring A-Sun history to UNF.

*The tournament will be held at JU April 20-22

Josh Brannock, Sports Editor

Men’s Tennis

The No. 62 UNF men’s tennis team entered the A-Sun championship on an eight-game win streak, including seven straight conference wins.

The Ospreys ended the regular season with an 18-5 record overall and a dominating 8-1 record in conference play. The team’s lone loss came at the hands of the five-time reigning champion East Tennesse State University Buccaneers. The 4-3 loss was one of two losses at home for UNF this year.

Head coach Adam Schaechterle said the two toughest teams in the tournament are going to be Stetson at the number three-seed and ETSU. Schaechterle said he’s been impressed with the team’s play this season, especially since they’ve had to overcome multiple injuries.

“I’m really excited because I don’t feel like I’ve seen us play our best through our nine [conference] matches yet,” Schaechterle said. “If we do the things we can do, we’ll beat anyone.”

Josh Brannock, Sports Editor

Email Josh Brannock and Jordan Harirchi at [email protected].
Follow @spinnakersports