Baseball looks to strengthen series lead over Lipscomb

With the end of the season rapidly approaching, UNF baseball travels to Nashville for a three-game series against Lipscomb University. UNF started slow this season, going 1-6 in conference play, but after seven consecutive conference wins, UNF looks to continue its streak.  UNF has also defeated in state rivals, UF and FSU, this season.

WHAT
Lipscomb hosts UNF for a three-game two-day series. Last year the series was in Jacksonville, and it switches back and forth every year. Many of the players are excited about the road trip to face Lipscomb.

“We expect to win every game we play, no matter who we’re playing,” senior center-fielder Brian Wilson said.

UNF will be missing two players due to injury, when they face Lipscomb, head coach Dusty Rhodes said. Lipscomb has two of the best pitchers in the conference.

Rhodes said Wilson’s ability to stay healthy, has really helped the team. “Wilson is now playing on a level, we’d hope he would,” Rhodes said.

WHEN
April 10-11

WHERE
Dugan Field, Lipscomb University, Nashville, Tenn.

LOOKING BACK
During the last three seasons, UNF is 6-3 against  Lipscomb. In each series, UNF has managed to take two out of three games.  Last year UNF outscored Lipscomb 33-28 in the three-game series at Harmon Stadium.

THIS SEASON
Neither UNF nor Lipscomb has had any mutual competitors yet this season, but Lipscomb is ranked No. 1 in the conference with an A-Sun record of 8-3, while UNF, 8-7, stays hopeful in the 11-team conference.

“Hopefully, [regular season championship] comes down to our final series of the season against Kennesaw State, who’s the team to beat,” Rhodes said.

Compiled by Josh Gore.