Golf tries to end second place A-Sun streak

The UNF golf team finished its Reunion Intercollegiate in fifth place and will now move on to the Atlantic Sun Championship April 20-22 in Blues Creek, N.C.

Last year in 2008 the golf team won the tournament by one stroke over East Tennessee State, finishing 14-over-par.

Sophomore Chris Kennedy said he feels prepared for the championship and is ready to win as a team as well as individually.

The team won the title last year and hopes to walk away with it this year as well, Kennedy said.

The Ospreys are now awaiting the decision on their regional site and will be heading to one of three places: Chattanooga, Tenn., Columbus, Ohio, or Seattle, Wash.

WHAT
The Atlantic Sun Men’s Golf Championship tournament is hosted by Campbell University at tt Keith Hills Country Club.

WHEN
April 20-22

WHERE
Blues Creek, North Carolina

LOOKING BACK
In 2008 the Ospreys recorded the lowest round of the day at the A-Sun Conference Tournament, and the win guaranteed UNF a spot in an NCAA Regional. It would be the first regional appearance since 2002 breaking a three year streak of second-place finishes in the tournament.

Due to the win, UNF also picked up a point in the Sun Trust River City Rumble standings, placing higher than Jacksonville University by 57 strokes. The Ospreys had a score of 2-over-par and a score of 286 for the tournament.

THIS SEASON
UNF tied for fourth with a score of 612 in the second round at the Reunion Intercollegiate 10 shots behind third place Vanderbilt, one of the top teams in the tournament. It finished the event in fifth place with a 314 three-round total.

In the Gator invitational, the Ospreys placed ninth overall with a round of 287. Senior Jeff Dennis tied for ninth in the individual standings after an even par round of 70.

Compiled by Heather Furey.