Police Beat Oct. 8

Logo-policebeat5Oct. 9 – Stalking (The Crossings)

A student called UPD after she received a package of beauty products.

The student reported a former acquaintance was stalking her. The suspect and the victim went to the same elementary school, but the victim said they were never friends and never dated.

The suspect was downloading and re-posting photos of the victim from Facebook and wrote unsettling comments about her appearance on each photo. He also posted her photos as if they were from him and about her, calling her “his little teddy bear” and implying they were romantically involved.

The victim sent the suspect at least one message telling him she was not interested and he was misunderstanding the posts she sent her friends.

The victim then received a package in the mail from the suspect.

The package contained shampoo, soap, hair product, a plastic rose, earrings, a sympathy card telling the victim that he loved her, and a two page letter with hand drawn flowers along the bottom half of the paper.

In the letter, the suspect stated that he could hardly wait to “hug her more and more.” He also asked her if she was a virgin and if she had sexual relations with any of her ex-boyfriends. He also asked her to take a picture of her hair and send it to him.

The victim contacted her former high school’s resource officer about the issue. The resource officer said he would speak to the suspect’s father.

The victim blocked the suspect from her Facebook and Twitter. She also contacted the State Attorney’s office, requesting that the suspect be banned from contact with her on social media sites, and be banned from the UNF campus.

The victim was advised to stop posting on social media sites and to collect the evidence of the suspect’s behavior. She was also advised to travel with someone and to call police if she was confronted or contacted by the suspect.

Oct. 7 –Dispute/Assault (Osprey Fountains)

Three roommates were in an altercation where one was heard calling the other two “n—–s.”

A student was involved in a confrontation with two of her roommates and claimed to be a victim of assault.  The victim stated that she had multiple confrontations in the past with her two roommates regarding the cleanliness of their shared restroom.

The victim said that in the latest verbal confrontation the suspect grabbed her by the arm and said she wanted to go talk to the resident assistant. The suspect then pulled her by the arm into the hallway but the victim started to swing at the suspect in an attempt to get away. The victim thought she had struck the suspect before getting away, but she was not sure.

The suspect said she was sleeping in her room when a door slam woke her up. When she left her room to investigate the cause of the noise, she found that a drawer of her personal items had been dumped onto the floor.

She said she then confronted the victim, asking her why her things were dumped on the floor. The suspect said the conversation then turned into a verbal confrontation regarding the shower curtain.

The suspect then grabbed the victim’s arm and pulled her into the hallway, knowing that it was against the victim’s will. The victim swung at the suspect but did not strike her.

The second roommate said she observed the suspect grabbing the victim by the arm and pulling her into the hallway, but did not see what took place after that.

The second roommate and the suspect were on the first floor when the victim approached the pair, calling them “n—–s”. The victim also said, “That’s why I don’t hang with black people, because they are trash.”

UPD’s report identified the suspect, the victim and the second roommate as black.

The suspect and the second roommate then approached the resident assistant, who had witnessed the victim’s statements, and immediately contacted the resident life coordinator.

The victim stated that she wanted to pursue assault charges against the suspect. The resident life assistant and resident life coordinator talked to all those involved in the confrontation and made the decision not to move the victim. The case was referred to the State Attorney’s Office.

Oct. 7 –Student with Chest Pains (The Village)

A student who complained of chest pains was administered first aid by JFRD Engine and Rescue 50.  The firefighters stated that the student had elevated blood pressure and transported her to the Mayo Clinic.

Email Joseph Cook at [email protected]