A question of state control

Carlo Fassi, student body president Courtesy of UNF Student Government
Carlo Fassi, student body president
Courtesy of UNF Student Government

Student Body President Carlo Fassi believes UNF should control itself.

Fassi said a June 2013 report presented at the Sept. 12 Florida Board of Governors meeting favors more state control over public universities.

The report, Florida Rising, an Assessment of Public Universities in the Sunshine State, was conducted by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni with the James Madison Institute.

Fassi said when the BOG was first assembled it delegated a lot of authority to individual universities.

Although the BOG has jurisdiction over the policy-based processes, it has delegated this jurisdiction to each university’s board of trustees. The BOG votes and recommendations are made by the Board of Trustees.

“I think the university Board of Trustees knows what’s best for our institution. That’s why the BOG originally delegated [authority] out to the schools… they know the heartbeat of our campus,” Fassi said.

He said students can help prevent more state control by paying attention to where tuition revenue is going and attending open board meetings to input their opinions.

Fassi said whether he would speak out in the Nov. 20-21 Governors meeting depends on what policy is being proposed.

“I would need to know details as to what it is the BOG would like control over. However, I do not believe the BOG will be recalling any of the delegated authorities it gave to the boards of trustees back when the BOG was created years ago,” Fassi said.

Katherine Schmekel, a UNF nursing freshman, is for more state control over UNF.

“[Florida] can allocate funds properly rather than just useless spending on some of the events that happen here. For example, the Sex-Ed Boot Camp. I don’t think that’s necessary or proper for the students to even be attending,” Schmekel said.

Ryan Hazouri, a UNF criminal justice and public law freshman, said “I think right now UNF knows what it needs best. I think the state would come in and try to put money in areas that might not be needed or take money out of areas and put it somewhere else.”

Email Rebecca Rodriguez at [email protected]