Green Room Brewery gives good vibes and great fresh brews

Amelia Gabrielle, psychology junior, sips from her beer at Green Room. Photo by Randy Rataj.

Located in Jacksonville Beach on 3rd Street North, Green Room Brewery is a place to come after class to kick back and have a fresh brew. “It’s probably a good place to start the night, or not start anything at all and just have a beer,” said accounting junior Michael Kilcullen.

As you walk in, a pup may come greet you since people are allowed to bring their dogs to this bar. The Strokes or Zeppelin will probably be playing, and you’ll notice your feet tapping and your head bobbing throughout the night. Advertising senior Rachael Slocum described the bar as “definitely more low-key and rustic.”

Rachel Slocum, advertising senior, drinks Green Room's Double Overhead 9.1% ABV. Photo by Randy Rataj.
Rachel Slocum, advertising senior, drinks Green Room’s Double Overhead 9.1% ABV. Photo by Randy Rataj.

You can play foosball tables and arcade games, and there’s a few couches and televisions where you can watch your favorite sports team play. The bar is welcoming and relatively small, so you can really talk to the bartender about the brews.

All of Green Room’s seasonal beers are brewed in the taproom at the back of the bar and then served to you – it’s as fresh as it gets. There are 16 brews on tap, seven of which are permanent, while the other nine beers are a rotation of the house seasonal beers. Each beer is a distinguished and different flavor. From Saisons to fresh hops, the choice is up to you. Kilcullen said he has been using Green Room’s selection to get far away from the beers he normally drinks.

A popular beer is the Double Overhead, a double and an IPA with a 9.1 alcohol by volume (ABV). It has a citrusy taste and is easy to sip on. Although this only comes as a 10-ounce pour, it gets you going. A couple of these and you may end up sleeping on the couches.

“It has a little hop to it. It’s crisp and has a nice taste, leaving you with an aftertaste of an orange,” said Slocum.

A delicious brew for your sweet tooth is the Count Shakula, a 16-ounce chocolate oatmeal stout. This beer has almost a mocha coffee flavor. Another good seasonal beer is the Sunset in Bali, which is a 16-ounce summer hop IPA with an ABV level of 7.5. This beer is brewed with kaffir lime leaves, giving it a little extra kick, and a little minty taste in your mouth as well.

Giant Jenga is a common past time while enjoying a beer at Green Room. Photo by Randy Rataj.

Once you’ve played some foosball and tried a few beers, make sure to go to the back room to see where the beer is brewed. There is Ping-Pong, Jenga, and picnic tables to have conversations with friends.

Time flies fast at this bar, and you’ll probably end up leaving at last call. This place will eventually become your after class hot spot — kicking the Boathouse bar straight to the curb.