UNF alumnus honors grandfather’s farm with photo exhibit

A new exhibit will open for general viewing on Aug. 15 at the Lufrano Intercultural Gallery, which is located on the second floor of the Student Union East building.

Douglas J. Eng, the photographer of the exhibit featured in the Lufrano Intercultural Gallery. Photo courtesy Facebook
Douglas J. Eng’s work will be featured from Aug. 15, 2014 to Dec. 5, 2014.
Photo courtesy Facebook

The exhibit, titled “On Fertile Ground: The Wing Lee Yuen Truck Farm,” features the photographs of UNF alumnus, installation artist, and fine art photographer Douglas J. Eng. These photographs tell the story of the final days of a Chinese-immigrant farm located on the Westside of Jacksonville before it was torn down.

When Eng was a child, he visited his grandfather’s 300-acre farm almost weekly. The Wing Lee Yuen Truck Farm, as it was called, was once the leading producer of Chinese produce during the 1950s-70s. Eng’s pictures of the farm capture still lifes, landscapes, and the interior of barns.

The opening reception celebrating the exhibit’s appearance in the Lufrano Intercultural Gallery will be held on Aug. 29 at 5 p.m. The exhibit is free of charge and open to the public. The gallery hours are: Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m-5 p.m, and Friday from 9 a.m-3 p.m. Eng’s past projects and current work are featured on his website, and some photographs of Jacksonville and the Wing Lee Yuen Truck Farm are featured as well.

Email Joshua Brangenberg at [email protected]