SG Budget and Allocations Committee approves three travel requests, denies one

With seven voting members present, Student Government’s Budget and Allocations Committee (BAC) unanimously approved three travel requests and denied one on Feb. 2.

The four student organization travel requests came from Upsilon Phi Delta, UNF Rock Climbing Club, UNF College Republicans and UNF’s American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).

UNF’s Upsilon Phi Delta chapter, a nationwide health administration honor society, requested assistance to travel and compete with the likes of Cornell, John Hopkins, and UNC at the Health Administration Case Competition in Birmingham, Al. Specifically, Upsilon Phi Delta asked for aid with hotel accommodations and plane tickets, requesting approximately $1920.60.

“This is a very prestigious competition and we are just asking for your help to get us there,” Ryan Calhoun, chapter president, said.

The request passed 7-0.

Represented by Club President Dylan Lowe, the College Republicans hoped to secure funds for a trip to Washington, D.C. for the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). When asked how the trip would benefit the university, Lowe responded that attending CPAC would provide club members with the opportunity to fine tune their social skills.

“It’s such an anti-social world right now,” Lowe said. “You do not build learning skills and communication skills by sitting on the couch and watching the summit on TV; it’s just not going to happen.”

The motion to approve funding for the trip died.

Both the UNF Rock Climbing Club and the American Society of Civil Engineers’ (ASCE) travel requests passed unanimously. The Rock Climbing Club received $564 to attend a climbing competition in Aiguille, Fla. sponsored by the Collegiate Climbing Series. The American Society of Civil Engineers received $2000 to attend the Southeast Student Conference at the University of Tennessee.

For more information or news tips, contact Cameron Garrett at [email protected]; if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact [email protected].