Smith surpasses 1,000 career point, yet UNF falls to JU 68-56

The UNF women’s basketball team suffered a 68-56 loss to cross-town rival Jacksonville University on Feb. 7 at the UNF Arena.

The Ospreys quickly fell behind in the first half as the Dolphins took the lead shooting 53.1 percent. Going into halftime, UNF was down by 16 points.

The team put up a fight and had a four point lead in the second half, but UNF Head Coach Tappmeyer said that they had dug themselves too deep of a hole to recover.

Although the squad suffered a loss, Destinee Smith, UNF senior guard, made her 1,000 career point during the first 20 minutes. Just shy of the mark by three points at the start of the game, Smith quickly surpassed it while gathering a total of 12 points for the team. Paulina Zaveckaite, UNF senior, also had a notable game putting up 11 points and 17 rebounds on the defense.

The lady Ospreys now gear up to play USC Upstate on Thursday, Feb. 12 at home. The game will take place at 7 p.m. in the UNF Arena.

Gallery photos by Garrett Milanovich

[doptg id=”116″]

For more information, news tips, or if you see an error in this story, contact [email protected].