Ospreys secure both heads in games East Tennessee State

The UNF Ospreys softball team landed two victories in a doubleheader against East Tennessee State University Saturday, April 10 in its last home games of the season.

The Ospreys secured a victory against the Buccaneers in game one with a score of 7-6 and came back with a score of 8-5 in the second half of the doubleheader.

These wins bring its record to 23-22 overall and 9-5 in A-Sun play.

Head coach Marcie Hickey was pleased with the performance during the game.

“Our pitching has been pretty solid all year, and our defense has been very reliable,” Hickey said. “It’s just a matter of putting the runs on the board.”

The victories for UNF land on the last home games of the season, when the team celebrated Senior Day for senior pitcher Devyn Findley, catcher Airen Payne and outfielder Kara Rutenbar.

Findley recollected on her time with the team after being on the team for four years. 

“It feels like just yesterday we were moving into the dorms, and it was exciting to win both of them being our last games at UNF,” she said.

Sophomore second baseman Amanda Moseley helped bring the Ospreys to victory during the first game against ETSU, making a walk-off, two-run home run.

Findley took the circle during the first game and faced some strong offense from ETSU, who scored four runs in the third inning.

But sophomore outfielder Ariana Godwin came back from ESTU’s scoring streak to hit a single to left field that filled up the bases after two hit-by-pitches by Moseley and sophomore third baseman Alyson Bailey.

Freshman catcher Jackie Reese also added her mark to the match as she tied the game in the bottom of the fifth inning with a two-run jack to left field, with the scored tied at 5-5.

The Ospreys secured their third walk-off win with a two-run bomb over the left field fence to secure the first win. Moseley also hit her first career home run.

Moseley was surprised to make the home run. 

“I’ve always hit the fence, I’ve never hit it over the fence, so actually getting it over the was really exciting for me,” Moseley said.

The second game gave Bailey a chance to shine, as she earned three RBIs, tying her career high. The Ospreys were able to scores points quickly in the second game due to Bailey’s work.

Reese got on to the diamond with a double, which Bailey took advantage of by hitting in Reese during the second inning. Reese went three-for-five at the end of the day, scoring four runs, two doubles, two RBI and a home run.

During the fourth inning, Bailey landed two RBIs to go with UNF’s five-run inning.

The Ospreys held their ground, but ETSU came back in the seventh inning, boosting the score up to 8-4. Findley came in and held off the Bucs and allowed Dent to make her sixth win. This was Findley’s third save of the season. 

“We always have had the fight to come back and win if we’re behind in the seventh inning,” Moseley said.

Hickey hopes to finish out the season with some more away games. 

“We’ve got some offense going against ETSU, and I’m hoping we can keep that going,” she said.