Health Promotions kicks off Healthy Campus Week with “Fresh” block party

Video by Brittany Moore
If you saw a dancing cigarette in the Student Union on Wednesday, don’t be alarmed. They were just celebrating the fact that UNF is now a smoke free campus at the So Fresh, So Clean Kick-Off Event, presented by Healthy Osprey.

The So Fresh, So Clean party started off Healthy Campus Week—a week devoted to spreading information about health initiatives and resources on campus. Activities at the event included music from DJ Dr. Doom, a photo booth where students could express why they are a healthy Osprey, free t-shirts, seedling giveaways from the Ogier Gardens, a table with information on vegetarianism and veganism, healthy snacks and more.

Associate Director of Health Promotions Ashley Ballard said that the So Fresh, So Clean Kick-Off Event is also about letting students know that UNF is a smoke-free campus, and that there are resources available to help students get healthy in numerous ways.

“We wanted to show students that one, we have these resources available to them, as well as you can be healthy and have fun at the same time,” Ballard said.

Athletic training freshman Psylexis Rosas participates in the So Fresh, So Clean photo booth. His sign lets people know why he's a healthy osprey. Photo by Cassidy Alexander
Athletic training freshman Psylexis Rosas participates in the So Fresh, So Clean photo booth. His sign lets people know why he’s a healthy osprey.
Photo by Cassidy Alexander

The name, So Clean, So Fresh, is related to encouraging students to breathe clean air and eat fresh food. The numerous campus organizations present at the event, like Ogier Gardens, showed students how easy it is to make changes to help their health.

“With Healthy Osprey, our goal is to make the healthy choice the easy choice,” Ballard said.

Katie Kilpatrick, a public health senior, is a peer educator for Health Promotions. She was surprised that some students didn’t know UNF was a smoke-free campus.

“I think it’s important to get the word out that we’re smoke-free,” Kilpatrick said. “I’m hoping that more people will realize we’re a smoke free campus and people will start eating cleaner.”

Kaki Bryant is a graduate student studying exercise science with a focus in chronic disease. She’s also a graduate assistant with Health Promotions, and thinks students should access some of the resources available to educate themselves.

“I think college is a new place to experiment and learn new things,” Bryant said. “Depending how people were raised, they might not be aware or near healthy options.”

While Healthy Campus Week will end soon, Health Promotions and Healthy Osprey work year-round to educate students about their health and the resources they have to offer on campus. If you missed the So Fresh, So Clean event, visit their website to find out more information.

For more information or news tips, or if you see an error in this story, contact [email protected].