Update: Campus fire causes $70,000 in damage

Update 6/10/16 — 3:10 p.m.

Thursday night’s fire at the UNF maintenance building caused $70,000 in damages according to a UPD report filed after the incident.

A UPD officer was dispatched to the scene after receiving an alert of a fire alarm going off in the building. Upon his arrival, the officer noticed a heavy, thick smoke in the building and fire rescue was called, according to the report. Once on the scene, Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department (JFRD) attempted to enter the main shop area, where they believed the fire to be. The report reads two UPD officers were unable to unlock the bay door leading to the shop and JFRD had to cut open the door, causing $10,000 in damage.

Once inside, according to the police report, JFRD discovered two golf carts completely enflamed and a third partially on fire. The fire was extinguished but the golf carts were destroyed, causing $40,000 in damage. An additional $20,000 in damage was caused by “other miscellaneous items damaged in the shop area due to smoke or water damage caused by the fire,” according to the report.

Director of Physical Facilities Wallace Harris responded to the scene and informed UPD the carts are normally left plugged in to charge overnight. The report was closed by UPD.

A fire was reported at the UNF maintenance building Thursday night.

UPD called the Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department after they saw black smoke coming from the building around 6:15 p.m. The building is located on Central Parkway, near the far end of Lot 18.

Photo courtesy of WJXT.
Photo courtesy of WJXT.

The fire was caused by three golf carts that were being charged inside the building. Assistant Vice President of Administration and Finance John Hale said officials still are unsure how the charging stations overheated.

Firefighters were able to clear the building of flames soon after they arrived. Hale said there wasn’t any damage to the building or any other vehicles.