Volleyball Opens Home Play

UNF hosted the Best Western Osprey Invite this weekend in the UNF Arena. The Ospreys won the first two games against Nicholls State and Mercer, but came up short in their final game against FIU.

Day One

UNF beat Nicholls State in three consecutive sets Friday, during the opening of the Best Western Osprey Invite.

Freshmen Gabby O’Connell had a double double against the Colonels, with 13 kills and 11 digs.

It was a team effort as the Ospreys dominated the Mercer Bears later that night with a 3-0. This is the 13th time the Ospreys have beaten the Bears.

The first set was point for point, with the match being tied seven times. UNF had no answer for many of their hard hits. The Bears went up 24-19 but failed to close out the set. The Ospreys rallied together and scored seven straight points to come back and win the first set 26-24.

The Bears called an early timeout during the second set, in an effort to slow the Ospreys down. But momentum was on UNF’s side. Out of the timeout UNF scored five straight points. The Ospreys dominated and won the second set 25-10.

At the start of the third set the teams were point for point. The game was tied eight times, and there were five lead changes. The Ospreys won the final set 25-17, to defeat the Bears in three straight sets.

MVP of the tournament, Carinne Turner, had 21 assists and a game high 12 kills.

Day Two

On Saturday the Ospreys came out on fire, but fizzled out as FIU won in four sets.

The Ospreys came out of the first set swinging. The Panthers had no answer for their 15 kills, and UNF won the set 25-13.

The second set was an even match-up with FIU having 10 kills to UNF’s 11. FIU continued to gain energy and won the set 25-21.

With momentum on their side, FIU won the third set 25-19. The Ospreys trailed the entire fourth set. UNF went down swinging, with 11 kills to FIU’s 10, but came up short.

Gabby O’Connell, ASUN Freshmen of the Week, had a game high 15 kills, and nine digs.

“Gabby O’Connell has been playing great, and had a really good tournament offensively,” head coach Steve Loeswick said. “Overall she’s playing really well at a high level.”

Senior middle blocker Erin Edwards, freshman outside hitter Gabby O’Connell and junior setter Carinne Turner were named to the All Tournament Team.

“[I’m] proud of the effort our team showed throughout the whole weekend,” Loeswick said. “Even this last match that didn’t end up going our way we still fought pretty hard.”

Next the Ospreys will face Georgia Southern on the road for a Tuesday night matchup in Statesboro, Georgia.