Matthew expected to strengthen to Category 4

matthew

Hurricane Matthew is expected to approach Jacksonville late tonight, potentially as a Category 4hurricane, according to the National Hurricane Center.

While it is currently a Category 3 hurricane, the storm is likely going to strengthen over the day as it approaches the east coast of Florida. Duval County is now under a hurricane warning.

Florida Governor Rick Scott is imploring people to move further inland and evacuate the coast.

“Don’t wait. The storm will kill you. Time is running out,” Scott said.

The storm is expected to bring sustained winds between 100-150 mph, with storm surges up to 5-9 feet. The storm surges will cause normally dry areas of the state to be flooded.

UNF’s Crisis Management Team will decide whether or not to evacuate the dorms Thursday morning. Information on what that would mean for students who live on campus can be found here.

Scott also said that power will be going out, and it isn’t clear how long it will take to restore it.

“If you’re on the east coast, you’re going to lose power. Don’t think you won’t,” he said.

So far, Scott has deployed 2,500 National Guardsmen to assist in evacuations, and has requested emergency aid from President Obama.

Further, Scott said current fuel supply in the state of Florida will last six days. While individual gas stations may be out, gas is still available, though they’re already seeing long lines.