Ospreys dominate rematch with Stetson 96-64

Chris Davenport on guard. Photo by Lili Weinstein

With a three game drought on their hands, the Ospreys had to beat Stetson in order to avoid being swept by two teams in four games. Getting swept by first place FGCU is one thing, but with the Hatters being second to last in conference, the Ospreys were playing for pride.

North Florida saw a lot of ups and downs at the opening of the game. On one hand, they managed to amass a seven point lead twice in the game, but they also blew those leads twice.

One aspect of the game that the Ospreys had a clear edge was shooting. While the Hatters posted a mediocre 41 percent from the field, North Florida was very efficient to start the game with 50 percent. As per norm, Dallas Moore led the charge.

Moore went 6 for 9 from the field in the first half and posted 14 points. Additionally, freshman guard Garrett Sams made his presence felt as well with 11 points and helped give the Ospreys a 43-38 advantage going into the break.

“They [the seniors] have done a great job of preparing us,” Sams said. “Not only for this year, but for what we’re going to have to do for the next few years.”

Coming out of the break, the Ospreys seized control and never looked back. North Florida exploded to a 72-44 lead and somehow managed to improve their shooting percentage even more to 55 percent.

Eventually the game became reminiscent of a Harlem Globetrotters match with the Ospreys treating rabid fans to multiple, consecutive, extravagant alley-oops to Chris Davenport. Speaking of alley-oops, the Ospreys dominated spreading the ball and beat Stetson in assists 21 to 8.

“We have a saying at this program ‘Good. Better. Best,’” Davenport said. “When I get the ball sometimes at the top of the key it might be a good look, but I know if I take my time and be patient we’re probably gonna get a better look.”

The unselfish play led to five different players cracking double-digit points. Also the distribution showed in the paint where North Florida blew up for a 58-16 point advantage.

Though the game lost its flair when the subs were sent in, it was a welcome departure for the Ospreys after dropping the last three games. The last big cheer of the night came when Chase Driscoll got in on the action for the last minute of play to sweep away a 96-64 victory.

The Ospreys host NJIT next on Feb. 9.