‘Increasing chance’ Hurricane Irma could impact Florida; Scott declares state of emergency

Hannah Lee

Hurricane Irma is predicted to impact Florida over the weekend. Photo from National Hurricane Center.

Although she may be off in the distance, Hurricane Irma is striking panic in Florida residents as the current category 4 hurricane is predicted to make landfall in Florida later this week.

According to the National Hurricane Center, as of the moment, there is “an increasing chance” that Florida will be impacted from the oncoming storm later this week. The report said it is still too early to determine what direct impact the United States will get from the hurricane and it’s path is still subject to change.

Either way, Governor Rick Scott has just declared a State of Emergency for the entire state.

“Hurricane Irma is a major and life-threatening storm and Florida must be prepared,” Scott said in a statement. “I have continued to be briefed by the Florida Division of Emergency Management on Hurricane Irma and current forecast models have Florida in Irma’s path – potentially impacting millions of Floridians.”

We won’t know if the hurricane will directly hit Jacksonville until later this week.

Hurricane Irma is already affecting Puerto Rico as they also declared a State of Emergency Monday ahead of the category 4 storm that is predicted to hit the U.S. territory Wednesday.

The last hurricane to impact Jacksonville was Hurricane Matthew. Matthew had parts of Jacksonville evacuated and left UNF with some damage, especially near the nature trails.

Scott called the storm “life threatening” and is urging everyone to prepare. Students should be ready for the worst and stock up on things like water bottles, non perishable foods, and gasoline.

Are you preparing for the possible hurricane? Tell us using the hashtag #SpinnakerStorm.

Spinnaker will continue to follow and update this story. For more information on how UNF is prepared for hurricane emergencies, click here.

__

Hannah Lee, Editor in Chief

Hannah Lee is a senior studying journalism and psychology. Besides staying busy at Spinnaker, she enjoys her time with her family and watching true crime...

1 Comment

One Response to “‘Increasing chance’ Hurricane Irma could impact Florida; Scott declares state of emergency”

1. The White House on September 10th, 2017 12:52 am

I hope the Florida Panther is safe! We prayed for all the cats. We forgot to pray for everybody else.

• ‘Increasing chance’ Hurricane Irma could impact Florida; Scott declares state of emergency

UNF hosts finals weeks activities for students

How to de-stress before finals

Road Detours around campus this weekend

Out of this world: Osprey Productions themes this year’s OZ FEST

Parkings spaces reserved for April 4

Facebook extends ban on hate speech to ‘white nationalists’

Ozzie Bucks discontinuing off-campus use

Temporary Shuttle Stops added to the Library and Student Union

Spring Break: What’s open on campus?

UNF Pride Club hosts a clothing swap