Mayor Curry declares State of Emergency for Duval County; Advises Zones A & B to evacuate

Tiffany Salameh

The projected path of Irma.Florida Storms

Mayor Lenny Curry declared a State of Emergency will be in effect in Duval County at 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Curry urges Jacksonville residents that are in Zone A or B that are able to leave today should leave today to avoid expected evacuation traffic later in the week.

UNF is not in an evacuation zone and no decision has been made on university closures. For information about where your zone is and to find your zone by address, visit COJ.net.

UNF is not in an evacuation zone. COJ.net

“We are likely to see mandatory evacuations begin on Friday,” Curry said.

The 2 p.m. update from the National Hurricane Center puts Jacksonville in the projected path of Hurricane Irma. The First Coast should feel the effects of the storm midday Sunday and Monday.

The storm surge is predicted to be anywhere from 2-5 feet and 6-12 inches of rain is expected, according to the NHC.

Florida Governor Rick Scott said Irma is “bigger, faster and stronger” than Hurricane Andrew, a Category 5 storm that made landfall in Homestead, FL in 1992.

“Do not ignore evacuation orders,” Scott said in a news conference. “Remember: We can rebuild your home, but we cannot rebuild your life.”

__

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Mayor Curry declares State of Emergency for Duval County; Advises Zones A & B to evacuate”

1. Mary Buckley on September 6th, 2017 2:57 pm

A good Mayor who thinks about the people he governs. Thank you Mayor Curry

[Reply]

2. J.Jones on September 6th, 2017 4:00 pm

I am listening to weather reports to make my decisions. I can’t see evacuation right now. He is telling people to leave so he can not be faulted. I think paying attention to the weather people is the smart thing to do. If you are caught in traffic with no where to go considering south Fl is and will be vacating then what?

[Reply]

denise Reply:

1141 Kendall town blvd what is my zone

[Reply]

Tiffany Salameh Reply:

You are not in an evacuation zone. Use http://maps.coj.net/DuvalProperty/ to find your zone.

[Reply]

3. John C Eddy on September 7th, 2017 9:28 am

10200 Belle Rive Blvd. Unit 67 Jacksonville, FL 32256

Maps aren’t helping!!!
    is in WHICH EVACUATION ZONE?

[Reply]

max Reply:

your address is not in an evacuation zone

[Reply]

Michaela Reply:

E. 10TH ST WHT ZONE IS THT

[Reply]

Tiffany Salameh Reply:

Enter you full address here to find your zone.

http://maps.coj.net/DuvalProperty/

Click search by address and enter your address. Then click layers in the top left screen, from the drop down select emergency, then select evacuation zone. Zoom out to see a bigger picture. If your address, which is indicated by a black circle, is not highlighted by a color, it’s possible you are not in an evacuation zone. The website works better using a web browser to a mobile browser.

[Reply]

4. Lewis jeffords on September 7th, 2017 3:17 pm

My address is 6019 Jacksonville Florida what zone am I in

[Reply]

Tiffany Salameh Reply:

A full address is needed to find your zone.
    http://maps.coj.net/DuvalProperty/

[Reply]

5. Sandra Burry Groden on September 11th, 2017 1:16 pm

Why can’t I find up to date info on evacuation? It is all three days ago. And I have typed in all ways I can to get the info for Cypress Village 4600 Middleton Park Circle – it keeps denying a match

[Reply]

• Mayor Curry declares State of Emergency for Duval County; Advises Zones A & B to evacuate

Hurricane Maria leaves Caribbean island devastated; UNF Puerto Rican students react

Suicide Prevention Month: Get To Know The Counseling Center

Spinnaker Investigates: ID Card Fee

3D printing facility gets $250,000 boost

“Potentially Catastrophic” Hurricane Maria is now a Category 5

How students can help Florida recover from Hurricane Irma

Senate Meeting: Catching up after Irma

After the storm: Irma’s damage around UNF

Irma relief efforts: UNF to hold a blood drive

Counseling Center offers guidance in storm aftermath