Men’s basketball earns preseason honors

Joslyn Simmons

With less than a month until North Florida basketball kicks off, the 2017-2018 men’s team has already racked up preseason accolades.

Freshman Wajid Aminu. Photo by Lili Weinstein.

This season, the squad was ranked third in the Preseason Coaches & Media Polls, just one spot ahead of crosstown rival Jacksonville University. Last season, UNF finished with a 15-19  record and closed their season with an ASUN finals championship loss to FGCU, who was voted first in the poll for the third straight year.

While they may be ranked third, the young talent-filled team is in the midst of rebuilding in the post-Dallas Moore era. Moving into the leadership void is sophomore forward Wajid Aminu. The reigning ASUN Freshman of the Year’s play on the court last season has earned him three preseason honors.

Aminu earned the ASUN preseason Defensive Player of the Year with a total of 36 blocks during the 2016-2017 season. In conference play alone, he swatted 20 of his blocks to create a new North Florida freshman single-season record.

This won’t be the only recognition for the sophomore. Aminu also claimed the Fan-Voted Preseason Defensive Player.

In addition to being the individual honors, Aminu was selected for the preseason All-Conference Team.

Aminu wasn’t the only Osprey to reel the fan votes. Teammate Garrett Sams was chosen as the Fan-Voted Player of the Year. Sams finished as the third-leading scorer for North Florida in his freshman campaign.

The men’s basketball team opens their season on Nov.10 on the road against Michigan State.

__