Men’s Basketball: Players to watch out for

Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics

Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics

Joslyn Simmons

Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics

With the start of the 2017-2018 basketball season just under a month away, the men’s basketball team have

Last season, the team went 15-19 overall behind a stacked roster of experience. With the well-known senior class gone, familiar faces will have more responsibility to shoulder in the Ospreys’ highly competitive schedule.  

Here are players to keep an eye on at the UNF Arena and on the road.

Wajid Aminu

Wajid Aminu, a sophomore forward, is coming off a successful collegiate debut for the Ospreys. He played in 34 games and started in 26 last season. During the year, he averaged 9.1 points a game. Aminu’s best performance came against Thomas University on Dec.15 when he dropped 24 points. The ASUN Freshman of the Year averaged 26 minutes a game and shot 54 percent from the field. The six-foot-seven inches ASUN Conference All-Freshman team member also has

Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics

the ability to reel in rebounds faster than his opponents with his long arms. Last season, Aminu pulled in 220 rebounds and swatted away 36 blocks.

Garrett Sams

Garrett Sams, a six-foot-six inches guard/forward, is returning to the Ospreys for his sophomore campaign. He joined his teammate Aminu on the ASUN Conference All-Freshman team for lethal shooting on the court. Sams played in 33 games while starting in 24 in the 2016-2017 season. He averaged just over 24 minutes a game and 10.9 points a game. The Tennessee native had a season-best 23 points on Dec.15 against Thomas University. Sams is best behind the free throw line with a 77 percent completion rate.

Osborn Blount

Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics

Osborn Blount brings experience to this year’s squad. The redshirt senior played in 32 games last season with one start.  Last season, he made 68.4 percent from the free throw line. The five-foot-ten inches guard has quick feet that pushes him past his defenders. While on defense, Blount has the ability to force turnovers and bring momentum for the Ospreys.

__