Letter to the Editor: Where the leftover $61,000 went after student lounge renovations

Jacob Riggs, Student Government Press Secretary

Former Student Body President Samantha Mims and former Chief of Staff Zachary Levensohn worked together on reducing the cost of the Student Lounge renovations in Starbucks. The result of that effort was a savings of $61,098.03. By utilizing previously purchased furniture, Student Government was able to save an estimated $7,049.85. The project only cost $51,839.03 out of the original budget of $112,937.50. The $51,839.03 was used on construction, the purchase of additional furniture, permit fees and cleaning of the old furniture.

A new, higher bar has been added to the Starbucks lounge. Photo by Jesse Martinez

One major question that has been asked is, what’s going to happen with the $61,098.03 that wasn’t spent? Student Government is not allowed to shift funds from one project to another. This means any money that was allocated to the construction and remodeling of the Student Lounge can only be used for the Student Lounge project. If a project is completed with money left over, that money returns to the general reserves and cannot be used again until the senate passes another bill outlining its use.

So, the $61,098.03 that was saved, will be used for future projects like Lend-A-Wing renovations or other Student Government initiatives.

President Mims and former Chief of Staff Levensohn’s efforts were cost effective to the students and has set an example that the rest of Student Government wishes to follow. The students and staff at Student Government invite you to pull up a chair and relax in the new lounge next time you’re on campus.

– Jacob Riggs, Student Government Press Secretary