Student celebrate thankfulness at Gratitude Monday amid protests

Valeree Del Guidice

As protesters marched to Alumni Hall, the university took it upon itself to create an alternative place for students to gather and celebrate their thankfulness.

Student organizations such as Student Government had tables at the event to promote unity and thankfulness ahead of both Thanksgiving and the protest against Ken Parker. While the turnout wasn’t huge, a number of students were in attendance, due in part to offers of free coffee and donuts. 

“Honestly, I heard there was free food. I wasn’t going to the protest anyway,” Luis Ocasio, a junior in jazz studies, explained.

Garbage can beer pong, giant four square, soccer, bean bag tic tac toe and even a ball pit served as entertainment for the event. Students also had the opportunity to make yarn art and paint wooden blocks as ways to de-stress. The event also hosted an Asian Name Art station and a laptop skin station. 

Many students who attended Gratitude Monday clarified that they weren’t interested in the protest, and said they were glad to have a distraction from it all.

However, some students wanted to attend the protest, but couldn’t due to their class schedules.

“I was just walking to class and I actually saw the name painting. I thought it was cool and wanted to check it out,” said Gabbie DiMichele, a sophomore studying public health.  “I won’t be going [to the protest]. I would if I didn’t have class.”

__