Martin Luther King Jr. holiday events around UNF

Logan Ansteatt

Martin Luther King Jr. Day brings a three-day weekend early in the semester. For those looking to celebrate the holiday or simply avoid a lazy day at home, here are some events in and around UNF for students to participate in.

MLK Holiday Grand Parade and Celebration

On Jan. 15., the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Foundation is throwing their 37th annual MLK Holiday Grand Parade. The parade begins at 10 a.m. at 101 Union St. E. and features the theme “The Color of Unity.” A festival will also take place at Hemming Park following the parade.

Continuing the Dream of Martin Luther King Jr.

Students can join the Reformed University Fellowship (RUF) at UNF and the Black Student Union for a screening of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream Speech” on Jan. 16. The event starts at 7 p.m. in the UNF Interfaith Center (Founders Hall, Bldg. 2, Room 1400).

Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service

United Way of Northeast Florida wants your help in giving back on MLK Jr. Day through your choice of community service projects. The projects are designed to revitalize Northeast Florida neighborhoods and provide financial stability information to those in need. Volunteers will meet at Edwards Waters College on Jan. 15 for refreshments and a rally before venturing out to their projects. More information can be found here: https://www.unitedwaynefl.org/event/mlkdayofservice2018/

Free Entry to National Parks

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is one of four days this year that all National Park Service sites will offer free admission. Nearby locations such as Castillo de San Marcos monument, Fort Matanzas, Fort Caroline and the Timucuan Preserve will all be open to the public.

__