Presidential Search Committee Chairman: “Syzmanki’s vision matches with UNF”

The Florida Board of Governors confirmed David Szymanski as UNF president March 29

Colin McCann

The long and tedious search for a new university president has finally come to a close. The Florida Board of Governors met on March 29 to interview UNF President-elect David Szymanski and UCF President-elect Dale Whittaker for confirmation.

Both were unanimously confirmed.

Presidential Search Committee Chairman Kevin Hyde believes Szymanski’s vision matches the vision of the board and said he has the leadership and fundraising skills necessary to lead UNF where it needs to go.

Colin McCann
President John Delaney attended the BOG meeting.

“Once I met Dr. Szymanski and had the chance to spend some time with him, it was an opportunity to recognize that we had a leader that could take the foundation which has been built and really take it to the next level,” said Hyde.

Szymanski also hopes to expand community relationships, which he believes will benefit the university and its’ students.

The meeting began with two students discussing the benefits of the partnership between UNF and Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital. Together, with the help of therapy and engineering students, the Adaptive Toy Project was created and has lead to the development of unique toys for children with disabilities.

According to one of the students, these toys give the children a chance to “engage with other kids and explore their environment in a way they normally wouldn’t be able to.”

In regards to the adaptive toy project, Szymanski said he is proud UNF is a part of it, and he hopes to continue to do more things like it.

“I look forward to creating opportunities for students, faculty, and staff and also creating opportunities for the state of Florida,” said Szymanski.

After the confirmations of the new university presidents for UCF and UNF, the current UNF president, John Delaney, was commended for 15 years of hard work and dedication to the university.

Szymanski will assume his presidential responsibilities on May 31.