Fun activities around Jacksonville to get you in the mood for the Fall season

Sarah Bethea

Graphic by Sam Chaney

Fall is not a season Florida experiences often. We don’t have the changing colors of leaves or the quickly cooling weather like most northern states. This time of year means hurricanes, slightly less humidity and football. It also means that a lot of businesses across the 904 host fall-related activities to pump up your weekend plans, since schools are back in session.

UNF’s Ozzie Oktoberfest was officially cancelled in August, but thankfully other places around town will be hosting their own versions so you don’t have to miss out. Wicked Barley Brewing Company, located by Goodby’s Creek off Baymeadows Rd., will host their third annual Oktoberfest party on Sept. 22, from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. There will be live music, games, German food specials and plenty of beer to sample. Dressing up in traditional Dirndls and Lederhosens is highly recommended.

Another option is the Beaches Oktoberfest. Branded as Florida’s largest Oktoberfest, it is a weekend-long event in October that will host bands such as Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and The Original Wailers. You can partake in a variety of German beer, food trucks, vendors and games. The festival will be held at the Jacksonville Beach Seawalk Pavilion on Oct. 13 and 14. General attendance is free but VIP tickets are available.

If you want to attend something that is a little more relaxed, most weekends you can find fall-themed craft markets located around town that offer goods made by local vendors. Wicked Barley is hosting a Pumpkin Festival and Fall Market on Oct. 6, from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m., and will feature vendors like Congaree and Penn, Bee Friends Farm and Alleycakes Dessert Company, just to name a few.

Also at the Seawalk Pavilion, a showing of the movie “Hocus Pocus” will take place on Sept. 28 at 8 p.m. This is a free outdoor movie so be sure to arrive early for good seats. Bring a blanket or chairs and don’t forget the snacks!

If you’re the active type, there are themed races you can participate in, oftentimes for a good cause. The Hemophilia Foundation of Greater Florida will be hosting the Creepy Crawl 5k and Vampire Mile, a race to help raise money for the Florida bleeding disorder community. Hemophilia is a rare disorder in which a person’s blood doesn’t clot normally because it lacks sufficient blood-clotting proteins. The race takes place on Oct. 20, starting at 4 p.m. at Nocatee. You can register for the race and find more information here.

Any of these events are sure to get you in the fall season mindset. If you need an extra push, stop by the campus Starbucks for a Pumpkin Spice Latte.