New alcohol policy revisions ban booze from student events

Hannah Lee, Editor-in-Chief

*UPDATE 7:05 p.m.: Campus Life has just confirmed that Ozzie Oktoberfest has been cancelled.

The Alcohol Procedures and Requirements were changed on Aug. 23 after months of deliberations between the Board of Trustees and campus leaders. The changes directly affect students and campus events.

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C6b0w-et-4[/embedyt]

Video by Carly Kramer and Sebastian Williams

One of the biggest changes between the original contract and the new contract is that alcoholic beverages cannot be served, possessed or consumed in the parking lots and garages. Previously, alcoholic beverages could be consumed in parking lots during tailgating events. Now, that is no longer the case.

Tailgating was suspended in February when a student was transported to the hospital after consuming too much alcohol.

Additionally, any event hosted by, planned for, or in conjunction with students cannot have any sale, possession or consumption of alcohol. Previously, this was limited to fraternities and sororities, who couldn’t serve alcohol at any event or rush designed to recruit students on campus.

Events like Ozzie’s Oktoberfest will no longer serve alcohol as it is an event planned for students.

The J.B. Coxwell Amphitheater and the Field House were removed from the approved areas where people could sell alcohol. The Museum of Contemporary Art was added to one of the approved places where alcohol can be sold.