Ospreys Volleyball sweeps JU

Drew McDonald, Sports Editor

In the first River City Rumble event of the year on Sept. 25, UNF’s Volleyball team (6-13, 1-2 ASUN) swept Jacksonville University (1-15, 0-4 ASUN) in three straight sets.

The Ospreys won the first set, 25-18. UNF capitalized on Jacksonville’s combined 12 service and attack errors. Senior Madilyn McCarty was showing versatility by recording four kills and setting up seven assists. Junior Taryn Griffey also added four kills to fuel the Ospreys attack.

The Ospreys had an uphill climb early in the second set, but they clawed back to an 8-9 score at the first timeout. The Ospreys recorded a .469 hitting percentage that led to them winning the second set, 25-21. Redshirt-Sophomore Gabby O’Connell led the Ospreys in kills with five.

It was a back and forth effort between both sides, but UNF prevailed with a 27-25 victory. Griffey chipped in five kills for the Ospreys.

Photo by Khorri Newton

Sophomore Callie Workman had to transition to the libero role recently due to Senior Asante Lopez being injured. Workman led the team in digs in the match with 18.

“With the River City Rumble, it means a little bit more extra on the line,” Coach Kristen Wright told Spinnaker.

After tonight’s match, Coach Wright mentioned some parts of the game the team could emphasize on before their next match.

“Chemistry is key, our defense as a whole is a huge focus besides the serve and pass game,” Coach Wright said.

Some standout players in the match were Griffey, who led the team with 13 kills, O’Connell, who hammered out nine kills and 13 digs, and McCarty, who set up 33 assists.

Next, the Ospreys head up to Nashville, Tennessee on Friday, Sept. 28 to play at Lipscomb at 7:30 p.m.