Emails show former dean did not want one incident to affect his career and marriage

Hannah Lee, Editor-in-Chief

The former Dean of the College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction resigned last week after engaging in a sexual act on campus. According to emails and a police report obtained by Spinnaker, Mark Tumeo did not want this one incident to end his career at UNF.

It all began at 5:01 p.m. on Oct. 2. UNFPD is dispatched to Bldg. 46 where a soccer coach told police that he saw two individuals engage in sexual activity on the outside stairwell adjacent to the press box entrance of the stadium.  The police report below outlines in more detail what happens next.

Police Information Report

Around 30-minutes later, at 5:37 p.m., Tumeo emails Interim Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, Pamela Chally, if he could call her on her cell.

“It’s very important and highly personal,” Tumeo says.  Chally tells Tumeo she’s on another call, and says, “I will call you shortly.”

There is no indication if Chally ever makes that call, but she does email him later that evening.

At 9:16 p.m., Chally sends Tumeo an email placing him of administrative leave.

You are being placed on immediate administrative leave pending investigation of the incident that occured today, October 2, 2018. You are not to report to work tomorrow. I will be in touch with you soon.”

Tumeo replies by asking her if they will still meet for breakfast, in which Chally replies “No, not tomorrow.”

The next morning, on Oct. 3, at 6:10 a.m., Tumeo sends Chally an email asking her to not let one error ruin his career and damage his marriage.

Mark Tumeo’s email to Pamela Chally at 6:10 a.m. on Oct. 3

Chally does not respond to the email. Six minutes later at 6:16 a.m. Tumeo emails her again asking if he could call her cell phone.

Chally doesn’t respond in email.

At 9:50 a.m., Tumeo sends Chally an email notifying her of his resignation.

Mark Tumeo’s resignation email.

At 9:51 a.m., Chally accepts his resignation.

Tumeo then asks if he should notify the college or if there will be an official statement.

Chally responds with five words, “Do not notify the college.”

At 12:02 p.m., an email was sent out to the university announcing his resignation.

Hannah Lee
“Mark Tumeo, dean of the College of Computing, Engineering and Construction, has resigned effective immediately,” according to a Special Edition Osprey Update.

Spinnaker reached out to President David Szymanski about the incident. Sharon Ashton, the vice president for Public Relations, responded.

“The University, including President Szymanski, is not commenting on this personnel matter.”

*Updated: 8:20 p.m.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Emails show former dean did not want one incident to affect his career and marriage”

1. Steven Garcia on October 11th, 2018 12:24 am

The author of this article should be ashamed of her “journalism.” I think this man needed to resign, and that his behavior is completely unbecoming of an academic and a leader on campus.

However, that this author and publication saw fit to air this dirty laundry is a sad sign of the times. Nobody benefits from this knowledge. All it accomplishes it to further degrade and embarrass this man beyond the significant repercussions he is already facing.

But I guess it seemed like an irresistible “scoop.” I expected better from the Spinnaker, especially its Editor-in-Chief. This isn’t news. This is swill.

2. Adam Imgrahm on October 11th, 2018 9:32 am

Sounds as if Pamela Chally was giving a university employee the cold shoulder when that employee needed her the most. It is saddening to see a university official shirking her duty when it is most needed.

• Emails show former dean did not want one incident to affect his career and marriage

LGBT Resource Center granted $30,000

Hurricane Michael aftermath may cause record highs in northeast Florida

JU closes due to Hurricane Michael

FSCJ closes campus in response to Hurricane Michael

UNF alumna returning to campus for book signing

“Take Back the Night” postponed due to Hurricane Michael

Tornado watches are expected in Jacksonville today due to Hurricane Michael

Riding apps offering free/discounted rides to polls for Election Day

Hurricane Michael continues to strengthen to an “extremely dangerous” Category 4 hurricane

Hurricane Michael upgrades to a major Category 3 hurricane