Sculptures provided by three UNF students scheduled for installation in Hemming Park

Heydi Ortiz

Local organization Friends of Hemming Park launched a partnership with UNF to give advanced sculpture students an opportunity to display their work while enriching the lives of Jacksonville residents and the city’s visitors with visual pieces of art.

Originally, the collaboration was meant to display one sculpture in Hemming Park, but three UNF students, Jennifer Peek, Stephen Magyar and Olivia Warro, are set to create large-scale sculptures. They are scheduled to be put on display in the spring of 2019 and stay there for one year.  This is all due to a donation on behalf of the Haskell Foundation.

According to the Friends of Hemming Park press release, visitors of MOCA who were able to vote on eight small-scale sculptures for a “People’s Choice Award,” voted Jennifer Peek’s intricate “Histor-Tree of Jacksonville,” the winner.

The three student sculptors have been awarded cash prizes to cover the costs of the sculptures as well as the opportunity to work with UNF sculpture professor, Jennifer Hager and Assistant professor of sculpture, Lance Vickery.

“This project offers a wonderful opportunity for our students to create a piece of public art,” Hager said. “The students get real world real-world with public art proposals, presenting their work before a selection committee, working within a budget, as well as engineering, building and installing a large-scale piece of sculpture.”

For more information about Friends of Hemming Park visit their website here.

__