University sends out statement regarding safety alerts and caller to JSO

Hannah Lee, Editor-in-Chief

The university sent an alert to students, faculty and staff Tuesday morning at 6:58 a.m. regarding Monday’s night report of an alleged armed person in the Arena Garage.

The first update is that the UNF Police Department and Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office has identified the person who called JSO and reported seeing a person with a gun in the UNF Arena Parking Garage. The person, identified as a 74-year-old woman, has been experience mental health issues, her family told police. Last night, JSO involuntarily admitted her to a mental health facility, according to the update.

The second update was regarding the discrepancies in when students, faculty and staff were alerted of the possible threat. While an alert was sent out at 6:11 p.m., several students didn’t get official confirmation until 7 p.m. The university said that the fact many never received that first alert is “completely unacceptable.”

Information Technology Services is currently investigating the cause of the delay, according to the update. The University said that they will take corrective action to ensure that the campus community is quickly informed and that UNF takes emergency situations very seriously and is always looking for ways to improve.

The full alert can be found here.

Spinnaker put a poll last night to see when did students get their first alert. According to the survey of 138 people, 85 percent did not receive any official alert from the university until 7 p.m.

Spinnaker will update this story as more information becomes available.

__