OPINION: Planet Fitness has Silly and Ironic Rules

Mellisa Soehono

For $10 a month, it’s a steal. Tons of cardio and basically bare minimum equipment. For starters, that’s all you may need.

What Planet Fitness doesn’t want to admit is that they actually discourage gym-obsessed people to utilize their gym. “Muscle heads,” if you will. Now I’m not implying that I categorize under this name, I thought Planet Fitness was a great gym until I was rudely approached two separate times about what I was wearing.

The first time was on the stairmaster when I was wearing a muscle tank hoodie that was considered “intimidating” because in some angles you could see my sports bra. I was given an XL Planet Fitness T-shirt to change into otherwise I was not allowed to continue my workout.

The second time was worse and I was angry enough to cancel my membership. “I’ll let it slide this time, but you can’t wear that next time,” were the exact words from the employee after he scanned my card. I’ve only worn this about 13 times before this, but apparently now is good time to finally let me know I can’t wear it again.

Also, I thought this was a judgment free zone.

Mellisa Soehono
The outfit Mellisa Soehono was wearing.

I kindly asked what their dress code was and as I was doing this, there were women wearing the same kind of tank top I was, one woman wearing just a sports bra and one wearing shorts that barely covered her bum. After listening to his nonsense and avoiding an argument, I asked to cancel my membership.

Dress code isn’t the only thing Planet Fitness is concerned about.

Planet Fitness may view itself as a “Judgment Free Zone” gym, but in reality it totally judges what they call “lunk heads.” If you have ever been to a Planet Fitness, you probably have noticed they have what is called a “Lunk Alarm” near the weights.

This alarm goes off when they think someone is lifting too heavily or grunting too loudly while lifting weights. You are also forbidden from deadlifting at this gym. Basically if you’re making remotely of a scene or look too intimidating, you’re bound to get scolded here.

If you are looking for a gym membership, my recommendations are Bailey’s Health and Fitness or if you are a student (especially here at UNF), I highly recommend utilizing UNF’s Recreation and Wellness Center. Not only is it free for students, but it has everything you need, whether you’re new to the gym or not. The dress code is fair and simple: shirts must cover above the belly button, no jeans, no open toed shoes and shorts that decently cover your bum. Oh, and there’s no such thing as a lunk alarm here!

Planet Fitness, it’s 2019, please update your rules and regulations.

__

2 Comments

2 Responses to “OPINION: Planet Fitness has Silly and Ironic Rules”

1. Lunk Roberts on March 23rd, 2019 1:05 pm

Total hypocrisy. Planet Fitness doesn’t judge you, but they do judge certain people. What kind of message does it send having signs on the wall labeling people as Lunks and a giant alarm on the wall to police them? It’s spiteful, ridiculous and not far from some extreme ideologies that history has proven don’t work.

Planet fitness should be renamed “Planet Safe Space”. The creator of Planet Fitness must have been traumatized as a child by a muscular bully or just watched too many movies with that stereotype.

Give your money to Bailey’s Gym. They won’t judge you when you workout.

2. Sam Bunting on March 23rd, 2019 2:35 pm

Planet Fitness is not for the heavy lifter/fitness junkie to goes around making a ton of noise and showing off by being loud, obnoxious and disturbing everyone else. My youngest daughter goes to Bailey’s since she likes that kind of “sparky”atmosphere. I like planet fitness, where I can get a peaceful hour of working out on basic equipment and weights without the “Lunkheads”.

• OPINION: Planet Fitness has Silly and Ironic Rules

The Senior Showcase of Art and Design

How UNF promotes healthy eating habits

OPINION: What’s the Hype?

• Community

Free speech on campus

Learn how to maintain your car with the UNF Police Department

Spring Semester Send-Off

BTS shatter records and explore psychology with “Map of the Soul: Persona”

Q&A with the UNF Young Democratic Socialists of America

“Hellboy”: A movie in a hell of it’s own

UNF Student Body President DuPilka’s last day