Domestic Violence Awareness Month: Warning signs and how to get help

Darvin Nelson, News Editor

Many abusers can seem charming and fun at first, and won’t blatantly abuse at the beginning of a relationship. Though, there are some red flags that can occur within the early part of the relationship — some of which are strategies used to control the victim or make them feel dependent on the abuser.

UNF criminology and criminal justice professor Dr. Jennifer Wesely shared the following valuable information about the warning signs of domestic violence and how to find help with UNF news

Warnings include:

• Jealousy if the victim talks to others or expresses warm feelings for anyone else
  • Possessiveness in which the abuser doesn’t want the victim to give attention to others
  • Random mood swings in which the abuser shows a dramatic shift from being angry and controlling to sweet and loving
  • Abusers may control how the victim acts, talks, dresses, looks, and even walks 
  • Abusers can have explosive anger impulses and have disproportionate anger about minor events — they may react by hitting walls and yelling names
  • Abusers may also gulit victims by saying that their life is nothing without them

The abuser uses these tactics of control and fear to avoid feelings of rejection and loss of control of the victim: threats of violence, humiliation, rape, physical abuse, control over finacial income, destruction of property, abuse of pets or children, and much more. Many victims describe other parts of domestic violence as more harmful than the physical side. 

Finding help can be dangerous, so having a plan is crucial.

UNF’s Victim Advocacy Program is a resource to any Osprey who has endured violence or threatened violence. The program helps with emotional support, evaluation of options, explanation of rights, and assistance with the criminal justice process. They will assure confidentiality to people who utilize the advocacy services.

The UNF community may use the 24-hour crisis intervention helpline by calling (904) 620-1010. 

National and local hotlines:

• National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1(800) 799-SAFE
  • Florida Domestic Violence Hotline: 1(800) 500-1119
  • Micah’s Place (Fernandina Beach): (904) 225-9979
  • Betty Griffin Center (St. Augustine/St Johns County): (904) 824-1555
  • Quigley House (Clay County): (904) 284-0061

__

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ spoiler free review

• What is staying open at UNF over winter break?

What is staying open at UNF over winter break?

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor.

Twitch Streaming: Handling hate raids and DDoS attacks

• Photo courtesy of Amazon.

“A Man Named Scott” movie review

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

• Shekinah Mitchell’s mural ‘We Are All One’ hangs on the wall in the Intercultural Center’s lounge.

‘We Are All One’ mural on display in UNF’s Intercultural Center

• A Holiday themed display case in the Bookstore.

Top UNF gifts this holiday season

• Banners and flags adorn the University of North Florida John A. Delaney Student Union during the 2021 World Fest Village Market Day.

How to prepare for life after college

• A black cat is seen hiding behind students bikes, photo by Nathan Turoff

Critter Column

Housing responds to feral cats at Osprey Fountains

• Mural of a person holding books.

UNF Library introduces ‘Stress Management’ online resource display

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.