Election Opinion: America prides itself as a beacon of democracy, but is it really?

Zach Yearwood, Managing Editor

As the country awaits the results of the 2020 Presidential Election with bated breath, there is one issue that hasn’t – and shouldn’t – go unnoticed.

The United States likes to market itself as one of the most democratic nations on Earth, promising free and fair elections for all its citizens. However, it fails to deliver on this promise with attempts to disenfranchise and suppress voters.

Examples of this can be seen throughout the country. 

In 2016, citizens of Florida voted on Amendment 4, restoring the ability to vote for former convicted felons who served their time. State legislators then acted swiftly to make it nearly impossible for them to vote unless they paid all their court fines (which they then made extremely difficult to quantify). This equates to a modern-day poll tax for 1.4 million Floridians.

Shortly before this year’s election, the governor of Texas implemented an order forcing only one mail-in drop box per county. After several challenges in courts, the Texas Supreme Court upheld the order. While this may not be an issue in counties like Loving County – Texas’ least populous with fewer than 200 people – it posed a serious problem in areas such as Harris County – Texas’ largest with a population over four million.

These are just two recent well-documented cases of attempted voter suppression throughout the country. However, simple examples of suppression exist in every state in various forms including:

•     Long lines resulting in hours-long waits to vote
  •     Election Day not being a federal holiday
  •     Lack of universal voter registration
  •     Frequent purges of voter rolls
  •     Fewer polling locations in lower-class areas and largely minority communities
  •     Voter ID laws – obtaining an ID card can be costly for people in impoverished communities, which disproportionately includes minority communities

Even now, the president is attempting to stop ballots from being counted prematurely.

I am an immigrant. Until I became a citizen in 2016, I did not have the right to vote in this country. I have not missed an opportunity to vote and likely will not as long as I live. 

Not everyone is as intrigued in politics as I am, understandably. Many people, especially younger people, have been disillusioned from politics and avoid it all together. Not everyone will vote, but every citizen should have the option to.

So, my question is: Why do so many in positions of power try so hard to take the power away from the people?

This country has fought in wars overseas “in the name of democracy” to establish pseudo-imperialist, pro-American governments. How can it do this when it still, to this day, has not fully figured out democracy at home?

Allowing citizens to vote is not a red vs. blue issue. It should not be partisan. It is our voice. Civic involvement is a basic human right. Voting is a right that millions who came before us fought for, and we should continue this fight until every citizen is allowed to vote quickly, easily and at no cost. It is the way that we, the people, hold the people we elect accountable.  

We will never truly be the representative democracy we claim to be until every eligible citizen has equal access to civic participation.

__

• States in Play: November

Election Opinions

States in Play: November

• Opinions

Election Opinions

Opinion: States in Play

• Activists gather outside of the Duval County Courthouse in response to the recent death of transgender community members.

Election Opinions

OPINION: The Trump administration’s latest attack on transgender Americans

• Emmitt Glynn is seen from just outside his classroom at Baton Rouge Magnet High School teaching his second AP African American studies class on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023 in Baton Rouge, La. Baton Rouge Magnet High School in Louisiana is one of 60 schools around the country testing the new course, which has gained national attention since it was banned in Florida. (AP Photo/Stephen Smith)

Florida Politics

Some UNF faculty worried about higher education implications after College Board releases revised framework for AP African American Studies

• Travis Etienne Jr. at training camp

Season in Review: Jaguars shattered expectations, looking forward to excitement in the future

• Matthew Driscoll gives instruction from the sideline

Men’s basketball jumps out to early lead, defeats JU in River City Rumble opener

• Ben Frazier, president of the Northside Coalition of Jacksonville, center, participates in a public rally by his coalition in front of city hall before a Jacksonville City Council meeting in Jacksonville, Fla., Jan. 18, 2023. A protracted legal fight over how city council districts were drawn in Jacksonville, Florida, reflects an aspect of redistricting that often remains in the shadows. Political map-drawing for congressional and state legislative seats captures wide attention after new census numbers are released every 10 years. No less fierce are the battles over the way voting lines are drawn in local governments, for city councils, county commissions and even school boards. (AP Photo/Gary McCullough)

Associated Press

AP: Florida city highlights conflicts over local gerrymandering

• Pentatonix performed for a packed Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena on Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2022.

Through the eyes of a photographer: December and January

• DeSantis

Florida Politics

Pushing “the philosophy of Western Civilization” in Florida education, DeSantis pledges to defund all DEI initiatives in state universities

• Small purple flowers at the base of the statue

New additions to campus botanical gardens look to connect UNF Students with nature