UNF collaborates with Fulda University in Germany

Darvin Nelson, News Editor

The UNF sociology, anthropology, and social work programs will be working with Fulda University of Applied Science in Germany through the Globalized World Program for an intercultural learning opportunity.

“We are most excited about collaborating with institutions around the globe to create new learning opportunities for social work students,” Associate Professor of Social Work & Chair of Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work Jennifer Spaulding-Givens says.

In recent years, UNF faculty have traveled to Fulda University to teach International Perspectives courses as a part of Fulda’s social work degree program. The new project reflects the next phase in their ongoing collaboration to create new international learning opportunities for UNF and Fulda students.

As a part of the project, two UNF social work students will be given the opportunity to travel to Germany with social work faculty and contribute to the planning process.  

“Their insights will be helpful in developing courses that meet students’ needs and interests,” Spaulding-Givens says.

The program is funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and will offer UNF social work students and faculty the chance to work with universities from Australia, Germany, and Namibia. They will collaborate to expand an international array of courses that puts online learning in a world of both physical and virtual meetings abroad, or blended mobility.

Fulda and UNF social work students and instructors will collaborate to develop online courses. The intercultural experience supports UNF undergraduate social work programs and practice skills, and Fulda students’ English-study experience. 

“This is a unique opportunity for faculty to gain international perspectives and embrace new technologies and pedagogies to truly globalize social work education,” Spaulding-Givens says.

__

• Members of the Student Fee Assessment Committee deliberate where a $0.43 fee allocation would come from.

General

SG committee members swing for the fences with fee proposal, Administration committee members expect rejection

• University of North Florida COVID-19 cases between Sep. 1, 2021 and Dec. 2, 2021, as reported by the UNF Student Health Center, accessible on the UNF Emergency Management site.

UNF’s fate in the face of Omicron uncertain

• Members of the Student Fees Assessment Committee discuss a proposal during their meeting on Dec. 2, 2021.

General

Committee to finalize student fees proposal Wednesday

• A visitor to the Shougang Park walks past the logos for the Beijing Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Beijing, China, Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2021. China on Monday, Dec. 6, 2021 threatened to take firm countermeasures if the U.S. proceeds with a diplomatic boycott of Februarys Beijing Winter Olympic Games. (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan)

General

AP: US plans diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics

• Jacksonville special election happening Tuesday: Candidates and voting locations

Election Coverage

Jacksonville special election happening Tuesday: Candidates and voting locations

• The sky glows a gorgeous rosy red as the sun disappears over the horizon of the Thomas G. Carpenter Library parking lot.

General

Parking tickets turn digital at UNF

• Photo courtesy of The Game Awards.

The Game Awards 2021: How to watch & what to expect

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

• Shekinah Mitchell’s mural ‘We Are All One’ hangs on the wall in the Intercultural Center’s lounge.

‘We Are All One’ mural on display in UNF’s Intercultural Center

• UNF lifts water advisory

General

UNF lifts water advisory

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.