Enjoy these events for International Education Week

Darvin Nelson, News Editor

International Education Week (I.E.W.) starts today, and celebrates the academic and cultural exchange programs worldwide. From Monday, Nov. 16 until Thursday, Nov. 19, UNF will celebrate the week with a variety of virtual events.

Monday, Nov. 16:

Online Book Display: The International Center partners with the UNF Library to host an Online Book Display. Ospreys will be able to access many international resources, such as ebooks, media, and free resources. You can see the book display here.

Free Masks: Students can get a free international themed face mask from the Osprey Café, UNF Library, English Language Program, and International Center.

Tuesday, Nov. 17:

Peace Corps Prep Event / 10a.m.: Presentation from the PC program co-advisors detailing the certificate program. Students can hear from a PC Prep Alumni on how the program benefited their career after graduation. Zoom ID: 937 6349 4368.

SAILS Scholarship Information / 11a.m.-12p.m.: The Student Affairs International Scholarship (SAILS) is a study abroad scholarship that students can apply for. The scholarship is competitive and gives funding for undergraduate and graduate international academic experiences. Recipients can get $1,500 for a short-term (less than 10 weeks) international activity or $2,500 for a long-term (10 weeks or longer) international activity. The scholarship is funded by the Student Life and Services Fee. 

Students describe life abroad in Spain and Germany / 12:30p.m.-1:30p.m.: Two students currently studying abroad in Germany and Spain will discuss life in other countries, how they are finding campus life and classes, and share their thoughts on studying abroad during this time. You can make a required registration here to receive the Zoom link.

Wednesday, Nov.18:

Develop Your Entrepreneurial Muscle / 11a.m.-12p.m.: Use this chance to learn about the European Innovation Academy opportunity to study in Portugal. Anni Sinijarv, CEO of EIA, will discuss the three-week summer program that allows students to earn credits, work on an international team with international mentors to develop a business, and pitch to a panel of Silicon Valley venture capitalists. You can make a required registration here to receive the Zoom link. 

Osprey Cafe: The cafe will be serving international foods:

• Chicken Enchilada casserole
  • Argentinian Chimichurri Pork Loin 
  • Fajita Vegetables
  • Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
  • Black Bean & Spinach Enchiladas
  • Action Station: Chilled Soba Noodles with Seared Tofu

Thursday, Nov. 19:

Discussion Panel – International Viewpoints on Artificial Intelligence / 1p.m.: The English Language Program will be hosting a panel where students will discuss the use of A.I. in various global settings. Zoom ID: 934 9153 8534.

Cooking Demonstration / 3p.m.-4p.m.: Chef Dennis Chan, owner of the restaurant Blue Bamboo, will be holding a virtual cooking demonstration. Chef Chan specializes in Asian comfort cuisine and will show students how to upgrade their standard noodles into a fancy ramen dish. To register for this event, contact [email protected]

“This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and Department of Education aims to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn and exchange experiences,” UNF said.

Featured image by Alex Carmichael via Unsplash.

__

• The cast of Hamlet receives applause from the audience after their performance at MOCA Jacksonville.

A closer look at UNF Shakespeare’s Hamlet

• Courtesy of ABC

The Bachelor: Episodes 1 and 2 Recap

• Graphic by Spinnaker Creative Services Team.

Join Jacksonville at this year’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ spoiler free review

• Shot of the front of the University of North Florida entrance and fountain. Courtesy of the UNF Athletics website.

UNF kickoffs their 50th anniversary celebration with an event full of games, prizes, and giveaways

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor.

Twitch Streaming: Handling hate raids and DDoS attacks

• Photo courtesy of Amazon.

“A Man Named Scott” movie review

• Photo courtesy of The Game Awards.

The Game Awards 2021: How to watch & what to expect

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

• Mural of a person holding books.

UNF Library introduces ‘Stress Management’ online resource display

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

Your email address will not be published.