Nation World Oct. 19

Nation – Nine-year-old daughter drives intoxicated father to store

Shawn Weimer, 39, of Brownstown Township, Mich., is facing charges of second-degree child abuse after his daughter drove Weimer to a gas station while he was intoxicated.

A 62-year-old 911 caller said to police he saw Weimer, who appeared drunk, at the gas station.

He said he also witnessed Weimer’s daughter driving away from the gas station.

Surveillance footage from the gas station showed Weimer speaking to the store clerk. Weimer said to the clerk his daughter is the designated driver and she is his “little angel.”

Officers pulled the van over shortly after they left the gas station. The girl said to officers her father had been drinking whiskey all night. Weimer told officers it was his right to teach his daughter how to drive.

Source: Detroit Free Press

World – Tibetan nun sets herself on fire in protest

Tenzin Wangmo, 20, is a Tibetan nun who set herself on fire after calling for greater religious freedom on the afternoon of Oct. 17.

The self-immolation is the latest among the region’s Buddhist clergy. The Tibetan area, which is located in western China, has been tense with widespread anti-government protests since 2008.

A total of nine monks and one nun have set themselves on fire since March 2011. Five of the monks were confirmed dead, while the conditions of the other four are unknown.

China’s foreign ministry condemned the Buddhist clergy for encouraging the self-immolations by not denouncing them. The self-declared Tibetan government said the self-immolations are tragic and urged the Chinese government to open a dialogue between the two parties.

Source: Associated Press