UNF’s new track elevates Jacksonville’s national track presence

John Watson, Sports Editor

Featured Image: UNF Athletics

Years in the making, UNF’s newly resurfaced Visit Jax Track at Hodges Stadium has caught the attention of runners and fans alike. With Olympic stars like Allyson Felix recently posting impressive times at the facility, UNF has found itself as one of the top track destinations in the country. 

Due to an unusually quiet spring because of COVID-19, UNF found time to update its facility at Hodges Stadium. UNF has partnered with the City of Jacksonville and Visit Jacksonville to resurface the track as part of a $950,000 commitment from the Duval County Tourist Development Council. As part of the commitment, the practice track adjacent to Hodges Stadium will also be resurfaced and fiber will be installed at Hodges Stadium. 

With the changes to the track, Hodges Stadium will be receiving fiber optic capabilities to allow enhanced broadcasting opportunities. (Justin Nedrow)

The projects are all part of UNF’s goal to remain a first-choice destination for national and international track and field events. Hosting elite events such as the NCAA East Preliminary and the Duval Challenge are just some of the events the track will host in its time. The economic impact of these events is in the multi-million dollar range. 

Senior Associate AD of Facilities & Operations Ervin Lewis has been listening to the idea of bringing a new and improved track to Jacksonville for years. Working with the city, UNF was able to bring the vision to life.

“Currently the president of USA Track and Field [Vin Lananna] resides here in Jacksonville,” Lewis said. “They [USA Track and Field committee] sold me on the vision of possibly bringing big track events and Olympic style track events to the city of Jacksonville.” 

The new track is made with the same material as the track at Hayward Field at the University of Oregon. Hayward Field hosts the U.S. Team Trials, and the surface at both sites is rare. Recently, elite runners from around the country participated in the Duval Challenge at the new track in preparation for the trials and the Olympic games. 

Going from light blue to dark blue, the difference isn’t just in the color (Justin Nedrow)

Four-time Olympian Allyson Felix was competing in the challenge and dominated in the women’s 400 meters. A sub-10 100-meter time was recorded by Ronnie Baker, who ran a 9.99. 

According to some of the runners, the track is bouncier than the previous track and is faster than the majority of tracks in the country. Former UNF Track and Cross Country runner Anderson Bobo volunteered at the Duval Challenge and sees a bright future for the Jacksonville Track and Field community. 

“Having just one place for almost every professional sprinter in the U.S. and other countries is in Jacksonville, and that’s the coolest thing ever to me,” Bobo said about the Duval Challenge and the new track. “Just kind of having it, to me, it felt like Jacksonville was the heart of track in the U.S.”

The track will last for approximately 10 years according to UNF and will host hundreds of national and regional events in that time frame. Having one of the best track facilities in the country, UNF and Jacksonville will continue to be a bright spot for sports tourism in Florida. 

____________

About the Contributors
Photo of Justin Nedrow
Justin Nedrow, Photographer

Justin Nedrow is a Jacksonville-based photographer who started volunteering for Spinnaker in 2020 and recently graduated in spring 2023 with a degree in...

• UNF logo

Updated: UNF releases urgent alert of arson on campus

• Photo by Ramiro Martinez via Unsplash

Longest partial lunar eclipse of the century to happen tonight

• Covid-19 (SARS-CoV-2) vaccine booster dose. Photo by Parang Mehta/Unsplash.

COVID-19 booster shots and what to know

• A tomb guard of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, known as The Old Guard, stands during a centennial commemoration event at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, in Arlington National Cemetery, Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2021, in Arlington, Va. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, Pool)

AP: Biden salutes troops as ‘spine of America’ on Veterans Day

• UNF logo

“A small-town mayor”: students give their thoughts on their ideal UNF president

• SDS releases list of demands, UNF responds

SDS releases list of demands, UNF responds

• Student Union. Photo credit Jonathan Merin.

UNF Presidential Search Committee hosting student open forum Wednesday

• SG - Student Government

Student Government swears in 17 new senators

• Delegates gather inside the venue on another day at the COP26 U.N. Climate Summit in Glasgow, Scotland, Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2021. The U.N. climate summit in Glasgow gathers leaders from around the world, in Scotlands biggest city, to lay out their vision for addressing the common challenge of global warming. (AP Photo/Alberto Pezzali)

Warmer seasons to come, UNF professor explains

• In this Aug. 25, 2020, file photo, Kyle Rittenhouse carries a weapon as he walks along Sheridan Road in Kenosha, Wis., during a night of unrest following the weekend police shooting of Jacob Blake. Rittenhouse is white. So were the three men he shot during street protests in Kenosha in 2020. But for many people, Rittenhouses trial will be watched closely as the latest referendum on race and the American judicial system. (Adam Rogan/The Journal Times via AP, File)

Prosecutor says Rittenhouse instigated Kenosha bloodshed