Men’s basketball prepares to finish its four game home stand against two florida teams

By Tyler Holder

Email Tyler at [email protected]

Follow @spinnaksports

Coming off of two straight wins the UNF men’s basketball team will be looking to continue its winning ways at home. The Ospreys will put their perfect home record on the line as they take Bethune-Cookman Nov. 29 and then play cross-town rival JU Dec. 3. Both games will showcase Florida teams that are looking to gain respect in the world of sports in the state.

The Ospreys are looking to build off of a 69-60 win over Jackson State Nov. 25. The game featured a perfect night for guard Parker Smith, who was 5-5 from beyond the arc. Overall the team shot 46% from the field and only trailed once during the game.

The Ospreys out rebounded Jackson State 38-28 as four players tied for the team lead of five total rebounds. This was just the second time the team out rebounded an opponent this season. The other game where this happened was in their matchup against Miami Nov. 19 when the Ospreys out rebounded the Canes 37-35.

The team still continued its struggles at the free throw line as they only made 65% of its fouls shots. They did have many opportunities at the charity stripe, as they reached the line 26 times.

UNF’s next two games are its last home games before taking the road for four straight away games over winter break. The first home game is against Bethune-Cookman, as they will fight for a chance to reach the .500 mark, while the second one is against rival JU in the team’s first conference game of the season.

Other than the JU game and a game against Palm Beach Atlantic Dec. 30 all of UNF’s games in December will be played on the road. The road schedule for the Ospreys consists of opponents in power conferences. First, the squad will travel west to take on the Wildcats of Kansas State. After their trip to the Midwest, they will head back east and face the Auburn Tigers, Virginia Tech Hokies, and Florida A&M Rattlers.