Best of Police Beat Fall 2011

Aug. 24 Battery (Osprey Landing) – A student and friend left a dorm room and ran into the friend’s girlfriend – the suspect – in the hallway. The suspect was upset and muttered obscenities at the victim. The victim and friend continued walking down the staircase. In the courtyard, the suspect began to strike the victim. The victim struck the suspect in self-defense and the altercation ended. The suspect and her boyfriend then left the area. The victim called the police.

Aug. 25 Intoxicated Person (Coxwell Amphitheater) – A UPD officer arrived at 8:45 p.m. to a drunken and uncooperative person attempting to access the stage area. Security removed the subject from the concert. The suspect smelled of alcohol and showed visible signs of intoxication, including red eyes and unstable footing. He was belligerent and uncooperative when asked to leave. A UPD officer asked if he was a student, then the student walked away. The officer said he was being detained and assisted the suspect to a police vehicle. He continued yelling and using profanity while resisting. He was then placed in a foot restraint. Due to his intoxication level, the suspect was refused at Pretrial Detention Facility and taken to Shands Hospital.

Sept. 2 Vandalized Greek Letter (Osprey Landing) – A UPD officer was dispatched to Osprey Landing in reference to the theft and recovery of the delta symbol for the Delta Sigma Theta sorority. Sorority President Valencia Ocean reported its letter stolen from the Green Sept. 1. The letter was found in the Landing with blue paint spelling out two words. Three Delta Sigma Theta representatives present at the time of the report said the sorority has no known enemies. A canvass was not conducted due to the transient nature of the area. The letter was not processed for latent prints.

Sept. 14 Injured Person (Building 58E) – At 1:31 p.m., a UPD officer was dispatched to the Student Union in reference to a report of an injured person at Outtakes. An employee of Outtakes said her co-worker was crossing the courtyard on his way to the store. A National Guard electric cart traveled through the narrow pedestrian passageway between the buildings on the East side of the courtyard. The victim did not see the cart approaching. The roof of the cart hit the victim in the head. The drivers were laughing and came inside the store to get ice for the victim. The drivers departed in the cart after Outtakes employees took the victim inside. Multiple witnesses mentioned the speed of the cart and the occupants’ laughter. An officer located the cart occupants at the ROTC Office in Building 9. They told the officer that the victim was not watching where he was going. They said they stayed with him for 10 minutes after the incident and he told them he was all right. The victim did not wish Fire Rescue to transport him. Outtakes personnel took him for medical treatment.

Sept. 24 Underage Drinking (Osprey Village) – At 11:45 p.m., a UPD officer was dispatched to Osprey Village Building E in reference to an alcohol and noise complaint. Upon arrival the officer made contact with the area coordinator and a resident assistant. The RA said she heard a loud noise from the room while conducting a check of UNF Housing property. The RA was denied contact with the room resident, but the noise ceased. The RA contacted UPD for assistance. The officer made contact with the suspect, the room resident, and was allowed inside the room. The officer observed 15 people inside the common area of the room. The officer gave the suspect his legal rights and questioned him about the open cans of alcohol. He said the alcohol belonged to him. The officer was given verbal consent to search the room for any contraband. The officer found 25 beers and one bottle of vodka. One subject, a housing student of legal drinking age, claimed ownership of seven bottles and said he did not share with any other persons in the room. The suspect was issued a Notice to Appear for possession of alcohol by a minor and having an open house party. Eight of the subjects were not UNF students and were given trespassing warnings. One other subject was a minor and was released into the custody of her mother. The remaining six were UNF students. They, along with the suspect, were referred to UNF Student Conduct.

Sept. 25 Assault (Garage 38) – At 5:50 p.m., a UPD officer was dispatched to Parking Garage 38 in reference to an assault. Upon arrival, the officer met with another UPD officer who stopped the subject’s vehicle, a 1991 Saturn, on the first level of Garage 38. The driver provided the officer a Florida driver’s license. There were two young children, ages 3 and 4, in the front passenger seat. In the backseat area of the vehicle were two young children and two babies in car seats. The subject said she took her six grandchildren to the Shrine Circus. She said one of her grandchildren wanted a toy sword from one of the other grandchildren, so he took it. The subject took the toy from the grandchild. The grandchild began to scream, so the subject hit the grandchild’s legs. Two complainants arrived and told the officer they witnessed the subject hitting the grandchild in the car with a fly-swatter-type object. The officer said to the complainants it may have been the toy sword that was used to hit the grandchild, but the complainants did not think it was used. The officer scanned the vehicle to look for the object but did not find it. The toy sword was composed of plastic and was long, thin and hollow. The officer asked the subject to contact someone to provide additional child seats. The officer provided all the incident information to the Florida Abuse Registry while the subject made arrangements for transportation. The subject was issued a Uniform Traffic Citation and was informed that she may be contacted by a representative from children and family services.

Oct. 7 Stolen Spinnaker Box (South Shuttle Stop) – A UPD officer met with a Spinnaker employee at the Spinnaker Office in Building 58E. The victim said a Spinnaker box at the shuttle stop in front of Parking Garage 38 was last seen Oct. 5 at 6 p.m. A member of the staff discovered the box missing Oct. 6 at 8 p.m. No canvass was done because of the time factor involved. The investigation is ongoing.

Oct. 16 Armed Robbery (Lot 18) – A victim of an armed robbery called UPD at 10:15 p.m. He said he and his two friends left the game room and walked to Lot 18. As they walked, three males approached the victims from Lot 18. As the two groups neared each other, the suspects pulled out [redacted] and told the victims to give them all their items. The second victim, who was still shaken up, said she could not remember too much because she was very frightened. The third victim said after they surrendered their items they ran toward Lot 18 and the suspects ran toward the core of the campus. Days later, the victims admitted the incident did not occur. They were arrested for filing a false report.

Oct. 21 Battery (Lot 18) – The victim and the suspect, his girlfriend, had a disagreement at Starbucks in Building 12 when he did not help her out of her chair. The argument continued at Lot 18 and into his car. The victim drove on the North-South Road, then the suspect began to punch him in his face. The first punch knocked his glasses off. When the victim blocked the last punch, the suspect poured water on him. He drove her to work at the St. Johns Town Center, but she exited the vehicle near Dillard’s and told him to call her boss. As the officer and the victim spoke, the suspect called him and asked to be picked up in front of Publix. The victim did not wish to prosecute his girlfriend. He said to the officer they lived together in his apartment, and they are intimate partners, but she had hit him in past arguments. The victim had no visible injuries, but his eyes were red and he was upset. The officer presented the case to the State Attorney’s Office Oct. 24.

Oct. 31 Marijuana (Osprey Fountains) – An area coordinator entered the room where marijuana odor was emanating from. The AC found a small glass bong on a desk as well as several cigarette butts. The AC said to the resident student not to remove the items and that UPD was coming. When the AC returned to the room, the bong had been moved. The officer spoke to the student, who said he had been smoking cigarettes in his room. The officer said there was a marijuana odor in the room, but the student said someone else had been smoking. He gave the officer permission to search the room. On a desk, there was a paper clip with marijuana resin on the tip. There were two bottles and one can of beer in the refrigerator. The student said the bong was not his and said to speak with the other residents. The student escorted the officer to another room, which also had a strong marijuana odor. The resident of this room said he had not been smoking marijuana either. The officer searched the room and found a marijuana grinder and two marijuana stems. The resident said the grinder was a keepsake from high school. Both students were referred to Student Conduct.