Stolen vehicle, loaded weapon leads to arrest at UNF

Lauren Fox, Managing Editor

A reported stolen vehicle was found on the second floor of Parking Garage 44 last Thursday afternoon, leading to the arrest of 26-year-old Malik Billings on charges of grand theft of a motor vehicle, possession of a weapon by a convicted felon, petit theft and fraud, according to a University Police Department (UPD) report.

UPD was searching a vehicle in response to finding an Infiniti QX60 that was reported stolen July 5, when they noticed a “suspicious person” holding a Panda Express bag was watching them investigate, UPD wrote.

Authorities approached Billings, asking him why he was standing there, to which he responded that he was waiting for a friend to pick him up, said the report. Billings is not a student at the University of North Florida (UNF), and UPD further questioned him about how he arrived at UNF’s campus and where he lived. 

Billings allegedly told UPD officers he lived on Lane Avenue, to which officers noted the vehicle they were investigating was reported stolen from a location on Lane Avenue.

During a pat-down for weapons, officers found a Capital One Savor Card in Billings’ back pocket, with the name of the person whose vehicle was reported stolen, UPD wrote. UPD officers later went to the Panda Express in the Student Union to ask employees if Billings had been there. Employees said that a person matching Billings’ description had tried to purchase a meal with a Capital One Savor Card, but it had been declined, UPD wrote.

Officers then began to place Billings in the back of their patrol vehicle and asked him to take off his shoes. Billings allegedly resisted removing his shoes, and when an officer removed them, UPD “observed the key to the stolen vehicle fall from the subject’s shoe,” according to the report.

While searching the vehicle, officers found a loaded semi-automatic pistol in the rear compartment of the vehicle, read the report. Billings is a convicted felon for aggravated battery, making it illegal for him to own a gun, according to UPD. If the gun is later found to be his, Billings could be convicted for possessing the weapon. 

Billings was arrested and transported to Duval PTDF for processing.

___

• Activists hold up their fist, chanting, with large white signs

‘Declare a housing emergency’: Jacksonville activists push for affordable housing

• UNF Student Union

COVID-19 is still here; UNF plan will rely on “honor system,” SHS Director explains

• Teresa Steele wears a white jacket with the name TERESA written in black sharpie on it and stands next to a young child wearing a black hoodie. The child is holding a baby wearing red and white.

UNF nurse spends 30 years helping people in underdeveloped countries

• Professor Charles Fitzsimmons. Courtesy of Charles Fitzsimmons.

Professors before they were professors: Charles Fitzsimmons

• Protesters walk under a green stoplight during a abortion rights march

OPINION: Protests work

• A laptop with a Zoom class on a desk with a coffee mug

Online programs offer education, regardless of location

• The gallery of Kara Walkers art at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA).

Artist Kara Walker explores race, gender and violence in work displayed at the MOCA

• Mid-wind-up, Jumbo Shrimp pitcher starts to throw the ball off the pitching mound

Through the eyes of a photographer: July

• The Clubhouse (glass doors on right) and Osprey Cove (brick building on the left). (Photo courtesy of UNF)

Housing reservations open up: What to know and quick tips

• Stephen King walks toward the courthouse, out of frame

Associated Press

AP: Stephen King testifies for government in books merger trial