Gingrich Speaks at UNF

By: Hali Harden, Contributing Writer

Cameras were rolling and supporters were present Jan. 26 when Newt Gingrich made an appearance at a Veterans for a Strong America rally held at UNF’s University Center.

Gingrich discussed issues pertaining to national security, necessary tactics the U.S. government should take to sustain it and what he feels the U.S. owes veterans.

Gingrich said his ideas differ greatly from Obama’s on the topic of national security. He believes there are issues that need to be discussed in greater than 10-second bites or 30-second commercials.

He expressed a need for serious national conversation on issues like health care and job creation.

He also said he believed potential threat to the U.S. government and freedom is high, and that the most immediate threat is “Islamicism.”

“The fact is, there are people around the world, who, for religiously upheld reasons, are prepared to kill us,” Gingrich said.

Gingrich also expressed a need for the government to invest more in the military, including better transitional programs for young soldiers similar to the G.I. Bill, as well as to take better care of veterans through programs like Wounded Warrior.

“Capability system, not a disability system,” Gingrich said.

Of the campaigners there to support Gingrich, Vicky Sciolaro and her daughter, from Kansas, said they have traveled about 2,000 miles following the campaign. In fact, they are so popular that the media has nicknamed them the “Newt Tribe” in reference to their entire family’s support of Gingrich.

At the end of the debate when Gingrich asked the crowd for their help and support, Tommy Peacock bellowed out, “you got it!” to which everyone cheered.
“It encouraged the crowd and it energized him.” Peacock said about his boast. “I want to see him go on with momentum.”

Email Hali at [email protected].