Students compete in UNF Mud Run

By: Dargan Thompson, Assistant Features Editor

Eighty-six students got a messy workout Friday afternoon by participating in the UNF Mud Run.

The event consisted of 19 different stations, including tug of war, tire flipping and swimming. It was part of the three-part Osprey Strong program, which aims to get students excited about the new student wellness complex opening on campus in May.

Jim Baur, the assistant director for recreation, said another purpose of the event was to expose the different areas of recreation that UNF has to offer.

Baur said a lot of students don’t know about the nature trails, and a few of the Mud Run’s events took place in the trails to show students some of the things that are available on campus.

The event was designed to be a workout, but also a challenge, with a course that extended about five miles. Those who participated were enthusiastic about the event.

Stephanie Timbol, a member of UNF’s Triathalon Club, which took part in the event, said the Mud Run was a fun way to get active.

“This is the kind of stuff we like to do,” Timbol said. “It’s getting out here and being active. Better than sitting around.”

Maria Bernard and Sara Evans, members of the UNF swim team, said they participated in the event because it looked like fun and it got them out of swim practice.

Bernard and Evans said the event was well organized and enjoyable, especially with the added motivation of racing against the other teams.

Jonathan Preston, a sergeant first class in the ROTC program, had a different motivation for competing in the event.

The ROTC program used the event as a team building exercise to get the cadets ready for a competition it will attend in October. As the coach of the team, Preston thought it was important for him to participate alongside the cadets.

“I wanted to show the guys that I could do it and be out there with them,” he said.

He also ran alone in memory of his good friend who was killed in Iraq in 2006.

Preston said events like the Mud Run help form a sense of camaraderie between the participants and are beneficial for everyone who takes part in them.

“What’s really good about an event like this is it puts a lot of functional fitness in your routine,” Preston said.

Email Dargan Thompson at [email protected].