One Stop to travel during Spring Break

Students returning from Spring Break who need to complete administrative paperwork will be in for a surprise – several key offices will be vacant.

During the break, several offices including One Stop, the Cashier’s Office and the Admissions Office will be moved to UNF Hall, though they are anticipated to be open for business upon students’ return from the break, Director of Admissions John Yancy said.

The phone banks will turn off March 13, which will disallow One Stop from accepting phone
appointments. The move should take place March 16-17, and it should be open for business March 19.

It might not be convenient for current students who need to schedule an appointment with the Admissions Office, but for new students, it will be easier because of the centralization of all the offices, Yancy said.

“For current students, we know it will be a big change,” said Aron Small, Enrollment Services officer at One Stop. “We are hoping the benefits will be realized when a student who needs to see multiple people at different offices won’t have to travel across campus to several different buildings. We would even be able to walk with them to the various offices and help them directly.”

The Information Technology Services and Controller’s Office faculty experienced a similar situation last year when they moved to UNF Hall.

With the initial move, there was a lot of apprehension because the offices were moving from the core of campus, but once everyone got set up, they were happy with the outcome, University Controller Floyd Hurst said.

“The move went really fast,” said Steve Lyon, assistant director of network engineerwing for ITS. “The hardest part was describing where we are located.”

Both offices expect similar circumstances for those set to move during the break.

Data and voice lines are already set up, and the remaining electronic equipment is ready to be moved in, Lyon said.

The only foreseeable problem for the Cashier’s Office was moving the safes, but the university hired a contractor to do the heavy lifting, Hurst said.

The current location of One Stop and the other offices is Founders Hall, which is the second oldest building on campus.

Yancy said it was hard for the university to put its best foot forward in that environment, and UNF will now have a modern facility with centralized offices to conduct orientation.

In August, the university is set to change its orientation and admissions tour, Yancy said.

The new tour will involve a guided shuttle ride throughout campus, which will finish at the Fountains. From there, prospective students will proceed with a guided tour throughout campus to the Student Union, he said.

The $6 million renovation to UNF Hall is scheduled to be complete by August 2009.

E-mail James Cannon II at [email protected].