August 25 – 30

Aug. 25 – Grand Theft (Building 3) – UPD was dispatched in response to a professor’s stolen kayak. The kayak was chained and pad locked in the fenced area behind Building 50 May 20 and the professor did not return to notice it missing until Aug. 25. The professor said he uses the kayak as part of his course of instruction. Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Aug. 27 – Auto Burglary (Lot 12) – UPD was dispatched Aug. 28 to discuss a burglary with a student. The student said that the previous day he parked in Lot 12, and when he returned, the vehicle’s right rear window was broken. The suspects, still unknown, entered the car and removed a Leatherman multi-tool, which is a tool that serves multiple functions worth around $50 to $100 or more, from the left rear floorboard.

Aug. 28 – Illness (Building 12) – A bus driver, who had just begun a break, was walking to the core of campus when he saw a student fall and hit her face on the concrete. The bus driver said the student then began to have a seizure that lasted three to five minutes. Rescue responded to the incident and the student was transported to St. Luke’s Hospital.

Aug. 29 – Alcohol Investigation (Building 55) – UPD responded to the Osprey Fountains because there were reports of a passed out, intoxicated student. The student, checked by paramedics and in no need of medical attention, registered a .17 on a portable breathalyzer test. The student was then transported to River Point Behavioral Health Center and was referred to Student Conduct.

Aug. 29
– Underage Intoxication (Building W) – A UPD officer observed two suspects walking away from the Osprey Landing, when, upon seeing the officer, one of the subjects threw an unopened beer in the bushes. The suspects were carrying three cans of unopened Natural Light beer. One of the suspects was a juvenile and transported to New Beginnings, while both subjects were referred to Student Conduct.

Aug 29
– Underage Intoxication (Lot 10) – A student and two suspects were stopped by UPD in Lot 10 for an alcohol investigation. The UNF student had three cans of Natural Light beer, a 50 milliliter bottle of Orange Schnapps and blew a .156 on a portable breathalyzer test. The two subjects were asked to leave UNF, and the student was taken to River Point Behavioral Health Center and referred to Student Conduct.

Aug. 30 – Grand Theft (Lot 15) – A student parked his car along the curb of Lot 15 with the doors unlocked and the engine running. A minute or two later, the student noticed his car being driven away and unsuccessfully tried to chase it. However, while the student was still outside, the car was driven back and parked on the curb. The student spoke to the suspect and then parked his car in Lot 15. UPD was dispatched to the Osprey Crossings housing area, where the officer was told that the suspect was now sitting in a study room. The officers had to use force to place the resisting suspect under arrest. The suspect was considered to be intoxicated because of his slurred speech and unsteady gait. He was charged with grand theft of a motor vehicle less than $100,000, disorderly intoxication, public disturbance and resisting an officer without violence. He was taken to Duval County Jail.

Aug. 30
– Drug Paraphernalia and Counterfeit Identification (Building 55) – UPD was dispatched to the Osprey Fountains due to complaints of an intoxicated student. When speaking with the student, officers detected the odor of marijuana. Upon entering the student’s room, the officers found two marijuana water pipes, two glass marijuana pipes and one metal marijuana pipe, all with marijuana residue inside. In addition, the officers found a counterfeit driver’s license in the student’s wallet. The student was arrested for having a counterfeit Florida driver’s license and drug paraphernalia.

BEAT of the Week

Aug. 28 – Underage Intoxication (Building Q) – UPD was dispatched to the Osprey Crossings after an intoxicated student entered the wrong room and proceeded to climb into an occupied bed. When the female student in the bed asked him what he was doing, he replied that he was just trying to go to bed. The girl’s roommates and the intoxicated student’s roommate helped lead him back to the right room. When the student spoke to UPD, he told them he did not recall walking into the girl’s room or trying to climb into her bed. Officers then transported the student to Gateway Detox because of the .09 and .10 he blew on the portable breathalyzer test. When the student got there, his alcohol level was under the legal limit, so officers brought the student back to campus, and he was referred to Student Conduct.