Forget Black Friday: social critic Lewis Black to perform at UNF Thursday Mar. 12

Graphic by Austin Brahnam
Graphic by Austin Brahnam

If the name Lewis Black doesn’t ring any bells, you might remember him as the South Harmon Institute of Technology’s dean in 2006’s collegiate dramedy Accepted. Recently, Black gave voice to a stocky red block of anger in a 12-year-old girl’s head in Pixar’s Inside Out due to be released this summer.

UNF Fine Arts Center presents Lewis Black on his national tour, “The Rant Is Due: Part Deux,” at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Mar. 12 in the Lazzara Performance Hall.

After the hour show, Black said a question-and-answer session with the audience will stream live on his website.

Black is known for his rant-style performances where he comedically dissects instances of life, covering topics ranging from politics to religion. But Black told Spinnaker he originally wanted to pursue a career in drama.

“I was just doing it on the side, for fun. It was just a way for me to get my writing out there without having to wait for someone to produce a play of mine.”

Black’s appearance on Comedy Central’s The Daily Show gave him national recognition, which led to comedy specials on cable television and a Grammy for Best Comedy Album in 2007. The Daily Show host Jon Stewart recently made the decision to retire.

“It makes a lot of sense…He’s more than just that show,” Black said. “It’s a burnout position. Eventually it takes on a math of its own… he’ll pop up doing something else and it will be good.”

In his stand up, Black is known to stress the importance of education. Black told Spinnaker that UNF students should enjoy their time in college.

“You have enough time there to explore, take a look around and try to find out what it is you want to do so you are not going to be a miserable f— for the rest of your life,” Black said. “I believe everybody knows what they want to do, and they were told at some point they couldn’t. College is the time you can try it.”

Students with a valid Osprey1Card can purchase up to 2 tickets, each for $15 at the UNF Ticket Box Office. Regular ticket prices are $85 for orchestra pit seating, $70 for orchestra seating, $65 for mezzanine seating and $58 for balcony seating. Faculty and staff receive a 10-percent discount on regular ticket prices with a valid Osprey1Card.

For more information, contact the UNF Ticket Box Office at (904) 620-2878 or email [email protected].

*2/26/15 at 3:56 p.m.-Updated with graphic. 

For more information or news tips, contact [email protected]; if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact [email protected].