Two UNF students receiving degrees after death

Two UNF students who passed away last fall will be receiving posthumous degrees for the Spring 2017 commencement ceremony.

Donald Wade Goodwin, 39, was killed in a hit and run in Jacksonville while walking on the Interstate 95 exit ramp to Zoo Parkway on the night of Saturday October 29, 2016.

Goodwin served in the U.S. Navy and received his bachelor’s degree in psychology from UNF. He will be awarded his Master’s in Criminal Justice this spring.

Andrew Stewart Blackton, 24, died on October 28, 2016 and received his AA from Valencia College in Orlando. He was studying ASL and English Interpreting and will be awarded his bachelor’s this spring.

In order to receive a posthumous degree a student must have achieved senior status, been in good standing with the university, and met the residency requirement. A family member, friend, or faculty member must also request the degree from the department chair head.

For a posthumous degree a family member, friend, or designee may accept the student’s diploma at the graduation ceremony and may also receive their official diploma.

A deceased student may also be awarded an In Memoriam degree as recognition by the university regardless of their progress toward degree completion.  

According to the university, Tyler Muldoon, the UNF senior who died March 26, will not be receiving a posthumous degree because it has not yet been requested.