Police Beat Oct. 20, 2010

Oct. 12—Lost Jewelry (UPD Office)
UPD officer was dispatched to Bldg. 41 in reference to a lost bracelet. Complainant Alexandra Wesson said she lost her Tiffany & Co. bracelet somewhere on campus. Wesson said she had her bracelet around 9:30 a.m., when she left class. She noticed it was missing while walking through the Green at 11 a.m. Wesson said she retraced her steps but could not find the bracelet. It is valued at roughly $200.Oct. 12—Theft (Osprey Landing)
Daniel Burdette approached UPD and said he left his iPhone 4G at a picnic table behind Osprey Landings at 6:30 p.m. Minutes later, he realized his phone was missing and returned to the picnic table where he left it, but it was gone. The phone, valued at $800, has multiple star stickers on it. The phone has been deactivated.Oct. 12—Theft (UNF Basketball Courts)
At 8:55 p.m., a UPD officer was dispatched to the basketball courts behind Bldg. 25 in reference to a theft. The three theft victims said they placed their belongings (cell phones, keys, ID cards) into a green duffle bag, aside from the courts. Fifteen minutes later, they said the bag was missing. Bystanders said they did not notice anyone else with the bag, as there were lots of other people playing basketball. UPD conducted a canvas of the perimeter with negative results. Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Oct. 12—Theft (Lot 18)
UPD was dispatched to Lot 18 in reference to missing items complainant Tara Brown-Ogilvie reported. She said she parked her car at 10 a.m. and didn’t return until 9 p.m., which is when she discovered her GPS and other items were missing. Ogilvie said she remembers placing her GPS in the car’s glove box that morning, and there is a possibility she did not lock her car upon leaving. The GPS was entered into crime information center as stolen.

Oct. 13 – Cyber Breach (UNF Hall)
UPD was called to Bldg. 53 in reference to a security breach of UNF’s computer system. Upon arrival, Vice President Shari Shuman told UPD the IT Security Office advised her that (an) unknown suspect(s) gained unauthorized access to UNF’s computer system Sept. 24. She said the suspect(s) had access to the server at least until Sept. 28. She said the breached information downloaded contained personal information of approximately 107,000 potential and current students, alumni and employees of the university. Shuman said she doesn’t know who the suspect(s) might be, nor does she know if the suspect(s) took any of the information. She did tell UPD the breach appears to have originated outside the U.S.

Oct. 13 – Underage Drinking (Osprey Landing)
A UPD officer, while patrolling Osprey Landing residence halls, noticed three people sitting on a picnic table. One appeared to be drinking a beer. The subject with the beer showed the officer a military dependent ID card and gave an N number. He gave the officer a room number. UPD poured out the alcohol and relayed the incident to a resident assistant. The RA advised that the N number given to UPD was false. UPD dispatch confirmed the N number belonged to a resident who lives in another room. UPD then responded to that room, addressed the resident to come outside and handcuffed him. The handcuffed subject admitted the ID card was a friend’s and there was more alcohol in the room. UPD discovered several unopened cans of Busch beer, a half-full Bud Light bottle, along with several empty beer cans and a bottle of Patron tequila. The alcohol was disposed of, and the subject was issued a Notice to Appear for displaying an ID card of another person.

Oct. 13—Theft (Fine Arts Center Parking Garage)
UPD was dispatched to the lobby of Bldg. 41 in reference to a report of stolen property. In the lobby, Justin Crandall told UPD he parked his vehicle in the garage adjacent to Bldg. 44 at 4:30 p.m. When he returned to the vehicle at 6 p.m., he found his parking decal had been removed from his car. There are no possible person(s) of interests at this time. The case has been suspended.

Oct. 13—Vandalism (Osprey Landing)
At 7:45 p.m., UPD was dispatched to the Osprey Landing’s parking lot(s) in reference to a vandalized vehicle. The victim said she parked her car in lot Oct. 10 at approximately 6 p.m., and when she returned Oct. 13, she found her driver’s side front and rear doors had been keyed. This is the second incident in which she has reported her vehicle being vandalized. The victim said she does not know who could have done the vandalism. Due to the time lapse between when the incident could have occurred, the vehicle was not processed for prints.

Oct. 15—Theft (Osprey Cove)
UPD was dispatched at 4:30 p.m. to the Osprey Cove residence halls in reference to a theft. Allison Rodell said around 2 a.m. she and a large group of Cove residents were hanging in the courtyard. Rodell said she left the courtyard for an hour and when she returned, her cell phone and a Florida driver’s license, that she left on a picnic table, were missing. She said she scoured the area but found nothing. No further information could be provided.

Oct. 16—Narcotics (Osprey Ridge Road)
At 1:53 a.m., UPD conducted a traffic stop on Osprey Ridge Road, adjacent to Kernan Boulevard. UPD made contact with driver Brandon Griffin. As Griffin persisted to provide UPD with his registration the officer observed that Griffin’s eyes were blood-shot and he was slurring his words. Griffin admitted to drinking “a few beers” and said he had drug paraphernalia in his vehicle, which he did. When asked where he got the marijuana, Griffin said he bought it from a guy named “Rick,” who lived in UNF housing somewhere, but claimed that was all he knew. Griffin submitted to a Breathalyzer test. At this time, Griffin registered a breath alcohol content of .153. UPD issued Griffin a warning for failing to place the new tag on his vehicle and was referred to Student Conduct. He was issued a Notice to Appear for possession of marijuana.

Oct. 17—Paraphernalia (Osprey Ridge Road)
UPD stopped Atom Montigney for speeding at 11:34 a.m. off Osprey Ridge Road. The officer observed Montigney’s eyes were blood-shot and an odor of alcohol emitted from his body. He was told to step outside the car and while doing so, the officer observed a prescription bottle on the floor that contained something. Inside the bottle contained less than 20 grams of marijuana and a pill of ecstasy. Montigney was read his rights and subjected to a Breathalyzer test. He blew .044 the first time. Montigney was arrested and brought to Duval County jail. Arrest cleared the case.

Oct. 17—Marijuana Possession (Alumni Hall)
At 9:23 p.m., UPD observed a vehicle driving on a non-vehicle access area behind Alumni Hall. Upon making contact with Vanna Key and Larry Wine, UPD observed a cloud of smoke emitting from the vehicle that smelled of marijuana. Both suspects admitted to possessing marijuana. Wine, a non-UNF student, was issued a notice to appear citation and was released at the scene. Key, a UNF student, however, had an outstanding warrant on record and was arrested and transported to Duval County Jail. Arrest cleared the case.