Three Ospreys earn Preseason Softball Honors

%28L-R%29+Dominica+Cocuzza%2C+Navia+Penrod%2C+and+Kayla+McGory.+Photo+courtesy+of+UNF+Athletics+

(L-R) Dominica Cocuzza, Navia Penrod, and Kayla McGory. Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics

DeAndre Pearson

With the 2018 softball season just weeks away, three UNF players have been selected for ASUN Preseason Honors.

Navia Penrod, a junior utility player, was chosen as ASUN Preseason Player of the Year following her impressive performance last season.

She is ranked sixth in the nation with 87 hits, 30th in the nation for batting and scored a team-best 50 runs while launching 28 from her bat. Penrod has also been selected to the 2017 NFCA All-Region team and ASUN All-Conference First Team Honors.

Kayla McGory, a sophomore shortstop, had a stellar freshman year that drew ASUN’s attention. As a freshman, she ranked third in league in RBI, posted a .960 fielding average and had a team-high of 132 assists.

McGory batted .362, which is second on the team, and posted a team-best of 12 multiple RBI games. She provided 39 walks which ranked second in the ASUN. She also boosted the team with 15 double plays to help UNF break its single-season double play record.  

McGory earned a spot on the ASUN All-Freshman Team, and was selected as the 2017 ASUN Defensive Player of the Year.

Dominica Cocuzza, a junior outfielder, returns this season after ranking 30th in the country with a .352 average. She ranked third in the ASUN with 16 doubles.

Cocuzza also led the team with 48 RBI, which ranks second in the ASUN and owns 62 hits on the previous year. Cocuzza had 19 multiple-hit games and 11 multiple RBI games. She also led the team with six homers and posted a .557 slugging percentage.

In a press release, head coach Marcie Higgs said she was proud of the selected players.

“What an honor for Minnie, Navia and Kayla to be recognized as three of the top players in our conference,” Higgs said. “They worked really hard to accomplish all they have. I’m really proud to have them as part of our program. They make us better every single day.”

North Florida kicks off their 2018 season in the Friends of Jaclyn Invitational in Winter Springs, Fla. against Illinois at 2:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 9.   

__